Net Ban News-Not Good

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jepjones

Post by jepjones »

The net ban wasn't doing much good in Panacea anyway. Almost every other time I've been down there, I've come up on somebody putting one out.

It's all sad news.
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

Ron,
We thought we saw some poachers going out Big St. Marks on a foggy moring the other day. Had a big green boat, with the outboard in the center, and the back was piled high with a net. It was headin' for the bay. We caught two trout up by Chipley that looked just like they had gone through a net. Wounds, like scrape marks on both sides.
You know, I've never been checked by an enforcement person all the years I've fished down there. Never seen one even???
Dog
jepjones

Post by jepjones »

here here,

I've got a quick question, where is this Crum's bait store in Panacea. I really want to make sure I'm not buying my bait or anything else there. It's not that Amaco is it?
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

Ron,
Why don't the Riverwatch folks down there do something about exposing the incompetence of the judge you talked about? Sounds like to me he's violating judicial ethics, which makes his other actions suspect too.
Darn shame about the pier. 'Course with a judge in their pocket why should the guilty parties worry.
You're right about us needing to support the conservation folks. They can't do it by themselves. They can count on me.
OD
Vitz

Post by Vitz »

Jep- If you're heading from Tallahassee towards the coast on 98, Crum's is on your left in Panacea. It's right across from Mike's Marine. Crum's Mini-Mall has the gas station, convenience store, hardware store, auto parts store. It's all his. He's been the ringleader for the commercial outlaws down there for years.

I remember several years ago when the net ban drive was on. Shimano was donating $1 to the drive for every rod and reel sold. Old Crum had a fundraiser of his own. He sold tickets to people to let them bash Shimano rods and reels with a hammer and donated the proceeds to the anti-net ban folks.

I always drive right by that place and head on down to Mashes Sands BP. They've got all the bait and tackle that I've needed. Nicer folks, too.
jepjones

Post by jepjones »

Vitz,

Thanks for the info. I usually just take my cast net when I'm fishing down there anyway, but now I know why I'm looking for an alternative.

It really is a shame when some people can't/won't figure out that when you devistate your local ecology it is still finacially devistating. Then again, maybe they don't care if there is no "livelyhood" left for their own children.
I'm in hot plate heaven....
At the Green Hotel--FZ
Fish Hawk

Post by Fish Hawk »

You couldn't be more correct Capt. Ron, it is up to all of us to keep our eyes open and report conservation violations whenever we see them. On your cell phone you can pound *FWC and report violations. If on a regular phone call 888-404-3922 in Carabelle call 697-3741. Do not ever patronize Ronald Fred Crum-Bum. :evil:
Save some for later.