Cleaning Grouper throats and cheeks...

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bman

Cleaning Grouper throats and cheeks...

Post by bman »

Had a few people ask about where the cheeks were... :o
I went searching for an article I remembered off Jerry's bait and tackle site but it disappeared - the words were there but no photos.
I kept looking and found it on Capt. Tony Murray's site...
http://www.saltwaternow.com/throat.html

I see a video in our future!

Barry
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
SaltwaterNow

Re: Cleaning Grouper throats and cheeks...

Post by SaltwaterNow »

Greetings Barry,

I'm glad the pictures came through on my web site for all and hope it helps; the article isn't of much use without the pics...

I see that I have no links back to my main page (http://www.saltwaternow.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) on these articles I posted; I'll correct that shortly. This is my first website, so I am learning by the day on these nuances.

I am just starting to post info and set direction for a local shark conservation initiative; the response has been very positive; any/all suggestions and insight into proactively furthering this local conservation initiative would be most appreciated. Links to this local shark conservation initiative are on the main page, also.

Best Regards,

Tony Murray
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Used to keep a spoon sharpened on one side to dig out them cheeks. Worked better than any knife '-)
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Bman, MANY thanks owed to you for this post!

Bit delayed in posting as life has been crazy the past few weeks (Pam recently purchased lasers and expanded her services -- in order for her to gain as much hands-on experience as possible with new laser procedures, I've been the chief guinea pig ;-) )... anyway, while my parents were in town last week I pan fried grouper from my trip out of St. Marks and the cheeks and throats were the hit of the meal. Not that the regular fillet cuts weren't great (they were :lick: ), but the entire family was surprised by the amount of meat we gained by keeping the throats and cheeks! Real treats well worth the few extra minutes cleaning effort.

My father, now 80, grew up the son of a sharecropper in rural SC (2nd of 12 children) during the great depression and always taught me and my brothers to appreciate nature's gifts and to make as much as possible from them. Despite (or because) of his working aggressively to become a successful lawyer/business executive, during my youth he occasionally had my Mom cook some pretty interesting things (squirrel brain stew comes first to mind) so it was a real treat to share the grouper cheeks and throats with him while he was visiting this past week. He definitely gave a number of these :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: , and there aren't many things in life I value more than getting his stamp of approval. So many, MANY thanks again!
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

She cut those cheeks with the Lazer?
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

She definitely didn't cut the grouper cheeks, as I did the cutting on them with a regular ol' fillet knife... if you're asking if she cut on my cheeks, well... I'm going to have to invoke my patient confidentiality privileges :wink: Being dead serious, don't know if they've made a laser yet that can cut through these wiry buns of steel :-D ... (but the laser sure DID do quite a number on some back hair of mine she wanted destroyed :smt012).

Sorry for the derailed thread, Barry :smt009
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Those throats I brought for the Social had been vacuum packed for about 6 months, so freezing them is not a problem. I had several folks tell me they were the best they'd ever had.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

GAJOEY
Site Sponsor

Post by GAJOEY »

they were good ..thats for sure
Watch out for the one who brings a spoon to a knife fight..he is either really stupid or really good with a spoon. <')))><