Scallops 101

Post your favorite recipes here.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

PinFishKing
Site Sponsor

Scallops 101

Post by PinFishKing »

Just like everything else, I am sure there are about 100 different ways to clean/store/cook scallops. Please share your techniques. I am going to try scalloping this weekend.

Do you simply store them on ice? Or do you store them in the live well like we do stone crab claws?

What is the best/easiest way to clean them?

Last but not least, other than a little melted butter in a fry pan, does anyone have any special recipes?

Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions.
You just can't fix stupid.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Put them ON ice not IN ice. If you can leave the ice in the bags and make sure the scallops don't hit the fresh water it will keep them from closing. A cold scallop is an easy to clean scallop.

We normally just use spoons to clean them with. Cut the muscle from one side and leave it in the bottom shell (the light colored one). Then take the spoon and run around the innards and pull it off the meat like a sock. If you get good you should be able to do several per minute.

Save several of the shells and when you get ready to cook clean them well in hot water. Then put 4 or five scallops in the shell with some lemon and butter and a little parmesan cheese and put them on the grill or in the oven for about 6 minutes.

Or if you are more bold, buy or make your favorite fresh (not bottled) salsa and put the scallops in it for a few hours in the fridge. The acid and salt chemically cooks the scallops and makes ceviche. Eat with your favorite tortilla chips.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Hey Greg 8) The easiest way to store them and clean them is to put them on ice in a cooler. They will pop open and then all you do is scoop out the entrails with a spoon and cut of the muscle. Some people use a shop vac to suck out the guts and that works good , if you wanna clean up a disgusting shopvac. I tried it and thru away the shop vac :smt013 . As far as cooking them, scallop stew(like oyster) :lick: , on the grill wrapped in bacon, scallop casserole with potatoes and brocoli, you name it, anything you can do with a shrimp, insert scallop and you have a new recipe. Good luck!!
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
bman

Post by bman »

BAD BEHAVIOR wrote:anything you can do with a shrimp, insert scallop and you have a new recipe.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

We like them with white wine, butter, lemon juice and a little garlic.

Here is the best guide to cleaning a scallop I have seen...
http://www.afn.org/~gofc/Cleaning.html

Ask someone to show you the first time- It is a little tricker than you think.
After you clean them store them in the fridge - if you want to freeze cover them with water first.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

As far as cooking, (Cook them right after they are cleaned while they are still fresh) my favorite method is to saute' the scallops in real butter with a dash of garlic (to your taste), add a dash freshly diced parsley, and parica (for texture/color), keep the scallops moving in the pan, then add a small amount dry white wine (again to taste), let simmer 30 more seconds and serve on a bed of pasta or rice.
The cooking process takes a maximum of 3-4 minutes. The aroma is awesome and the taste is truly fabulous. :smt007 :lick:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
grim reeler

Post by grim reeler »

BAD BEHAVIOR wrote:Some people use a shop vac to suck out the guts and that works good , if you wanna clean up a disgusting shopvac. I tried it and thru away the shop vac
It works better when you remove the dust filter first.

Shop vac works great, I just suck several 5 gallon buckets of water thru the shp vac when the scallops are done.
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Scallops 101

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D An added hint for those that do get in the water and clam up. Place the scallop hinge side up on a piece of wood(scrap because this will ruin a good cutting board) Take a heavy spoon and whack it a couple of times on the hinge. The result, will be the front of the shell will collapse and allow you to easily get the spoon in to cut loose the one side of the shell. Dont worry about the sheel fragments as they will come out with the guts. I can clean one that is closed in less than ten seconds this way. :-D