A simple solution for securing plugs and hooks when underway

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Apalach
Site Sponsor

A simple solution for securing plugs and hooks when underway

Post by Apalach »

As most anyone who fishes knows, treble hooks, although very useful on your plugs, are also one of the major sources of accidental injury when fishing. I have tried various methods of securing my topwater (and other) plugs to avoid entanglement when underway, either in my truck, on the kayak, or in a boat without a lot of success. My most successful recent attempt along these lines was to use a coil of One-Wrap Velcro tape. I purchased mine at Lowe’s, as I recall, but you can also get similar Velcro tape at HD, West Marine, BoatUS, etc.

This tape wraps back on itself, and works perfectly to secure plugs to the rod itself, and to prevent the hooks from flailing around when underway. They also prevent the common problem of your trebles getting tangled with your other hooks/lures when 2 or more rods are adjacent to one another in your vehicle, or on a boat. Depending on the size of your plugs and hooks, a 4-6 inch length of the ¾ inch wide tape should be sufficient to secure a ChugBug or similar topwater plug. The only potential problem with this setup is losing the loose Velcro strips, but a 9 or 12 foot roll of tape will last you quite a while.

All that is required is to then fold the tape back on itself for a nice secure wrap.

Here is the final “package,” ready to rumble.

Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: A simple solution for securing plugs and hooks when underway

Post by Jumptrout51 »

All that wrapping takes away a lot of fishing time.
I hook mine to the hook keeper or the reel ...then wrap the line around the rod.
So far it has worked for 52 years.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
bman

Re: A simple solution for securing plugs and hooks when underway

Post by bman »

My dad has used these with a lot of success...
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"