Shoulda...woulda....coulda ALLIGATOR POINT 6-7-08

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Shoulda...woulda....coulda ALLIGATOR POINT 6-7-08

Post by dolphinatic »

My intentions were to fish the NFGFC tourney out of Jerry's....problem was that my partner couldn't make it last minute. So, with boat detailing needing to be done, I decided to head down to Alligator Point. I brought a few poles just in case :roll: Stopped by Jerry's at 7:00am to pick up some Bass Assasin's that the boys have been raving about and almost signed in for the tourney anyways. Not knowing when I would be back, I made the decision to forego the tourney and just work :smt010
Got down to AP just before 8:00am and the conditions were nice. So, I decided to procrastinate work and fish a bit while it was still a little cool. I started wading and on the 3rd cast netted a nice 21" trout. A few more casts and and a 22" red was in the net. A few casts later and another 19" trout. I just laughed at myself and thought "Oh well." I decided to throw out a gulp and let it drift while I casted. This produced a nice 17" trout shortly but I grew weary of the numerous catfish and ladyfish with gulp addiction, so I abandoned the drifting bait. Just when the tide started to slack and the heat was increasing, I got a nice strike on my way back to where I started. I knew it was a big hardhead so didn't put alot of effort into a quick retrieval. When I got the fish about 10 feet from me, I saw that it was no catfish.......it was a nice keeper cobia :o I tried to get it close enough for an attempted snag with the net, but no chance. The fish ran and broke me off.....all that was left was a huge swirl in the surf :smt010 I took this as my sign to call it a day and just go work. Got back to the beach and released the trouts and red that was in the net. I rewarded myself with a $7.00 "mixed drink" from the bar at the marina just to cool off.......too bad my kids koolaid has more bite than the drink did :roll: Come to think of it, I think I paid $7 for a cup of iced koolaid anyway.
The boat took longer than anticipated, so I missed the weigh in too. No pics because I didnt think I would need the camera. The plug at the meeting the other night for the Bass Assasin's paid off.....definately reccommend the Arkansas Shad....the trout loved 'em!!!!!!!
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com