late report st marks 6/25

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

procraftwes
Site Sponsor

late report st marks 6/25

Post by procraftwes »

not much to write about... we put in at the lighthouse around 9am and fished spotty bottom between 4-8ft using gulp,topwater,and cutbait..my buddy managed to break my trolling motor on a rock near the lighthouse.it still works but the shaft is splintered.. :smt009 we caught about 20 sailcats a few sharks and 4 ladyfish..but it was probably the worst time to fish (9am-3pm)but i had to take my dog to the vet so you go when you can.. i hooked into 1 trout all day and he threw the hook at the boat.. the only keeper that day was a spanish mackerel about 17". it was so bad i was catching sailcats on topwater..they seemed to be everywhere but i did have a pretty cool encounter with the largest black tip ive ever seen he was 7-8ft.. he swam right under the boat.. we fished untill 3pm and headed home.. im ordering a bimini top after this trip it was almost unbearable..this is my 3rd fishing trip to st marks ive had 1 killer day and 2 bad ones..im trying to figure out what im doing wrong any tips? i feel i should be moving around more and trying new spots but it just looks like there should be some good fish on the edge of the grass beds..i cant seem to catch what seems like the right size pinfish they always seem to be a good 6" or more will the trout eat the big ones? and those pinfish love eating the tails off your gulps :smt011 im going to north ga for vacation next week but after that i plan to be back out in full force hopefully with a better game plan next time...
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Re: late report st marks 6/25

Post by Eerman »

1 out of 3 ain't that bad; especially when you're just starting out. You're right...move around more. There's good bottom everywhere, the fish just don't always like it as much as we do. And yeah, they'll eat the big ones. Sux about the trolling motor, what do/did you have? Must've popped that rock pretty hard.
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Bud, trips like that are common in the summer months. You win some you lose some. We worked very hard the other day to put a few fish in the boat. It'll come. Just keep fishing around and dont take up too much time in the non productive areas. If all else fails, find Casey Cooks boat and follow him around. He wont mind :-D !!
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

That's a .333 average. There are tons of baseball players that would love to have that average.

Like BB said, find Casey and follow him. He has a dark green aluminum Triton, and will be wearing one of them fancy shirts with writing all over it. (Secret trick: Ask him for his autograph and he'll show you where plenty of fish are) :-D
What was I supposed to do today?
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

I just bought one of his autographed trout on ebay! I hope the sharpie holds up.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

lol you guys are nuts.. looks like that guy catches some nice fish (googled him)

the trolling motor was a min kota 40lb thrust.. i wouldnt be so pissed but it mess up the bracket as well..we werent moving fast but the tide was going out and after he hit it the boat drifted over it and bent it up..ill just keep using it till it falls apart..im getting a new boat this fall but more on that on a later post...

ill be back in full force after the 4th..thanks guys needed the pep talk..