St. Joe Bay Tomorrow

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

Headin' down to St. Joe Bay tomorrow to scout for reds and trout. Anyone else headin' that way? Has anyone fished it this month? I know it's closed season, but it's stil okay to look. :smile:
OD
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

It was a slow morning on the bay. Very windy so messed around in the Gulf County Canal. Caught some small trout, but no keeper size. Saw a good bit of baitfish activity on the surface and on the fishfinder. Hope that's gonna mean good things for the spring fishing.
I don't know about you guys, but the fishing in St. Joe Bay last March was a little slow for me. It seemed like the grass had died back a good bit in places, and it was on up in April and May 'fore it got real hot for me.
OD
rookie

Post by rookie »

Maybe it won't be that long this year Old Dog. I see that you are from Dothan, I grew up in Malone, about 25 miles south of you. :grin:
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

Rookie, I bet you know a little about fishing Lake Seminole, and Ocheesee, don't you?
OD
rookie

Post by rookie »

Believe it or not, I have never fished either. I fished several small ponds around Malone that had monster bass, and bream that you fillet instead of scale. I moved to Tallahassee in 1995, got married and have a little girl, and another on the way. My boss introduced me to flats fishing, and a little offshore fishing, and I have been hooked ever since. :grin: It's good to hear from people back home, enjoy your posts, keep them coming.
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

Rookie,
If you went to Malone High you must know a history teacher named Ivey?
OD
rookie

Post by rookie »

Yes, I had him for Humanities, and American History. Good man, one of my favorite teachers.
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

Robert, and his twin brother Richard, and I went through the history program together at UWF. His brother Richard lives down the street from me. Both good guys, but don't fish though. :smile:
OD
PerryFisherMan
Site Sponsor

Post by PerryFisherMan »

Well, these posts have gotten away from fishing, so I'll continue the pattern. Rookie - I grew up in Marianna - not too far from Malone - but I remember a few Malone people I went to Chipola with. And for Old Dog - I went to UWF. I was there from '78-80 (chemistry). When were you there?

I've been in Perry since '80, but just began to fish the flats in ~1998. I usually fish out of Keaton or Econfina. BUT I really love to fish St. Joe Bay most.
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

PerryMan,
In the spring and summer I prefer St. Joe Bay, and East Bay at PC. In the fall and winter I target Apalachicola.
I was at UWF from '69-72. Got my bachelor's and master's in European history there.
OD