Batteries

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

What brand and size batteries seem to give the best service and longevity?
Need two new ones for Cape Horn.
Old ones are barely a yr old and neither will hold a charge. Unacceptable for saltwater.
Dead ones are 650amp Stowaways
It's a small world, unless you had to paint it.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Everstart from Wal_mart. Cheap and they work. A winning combination.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Bottom Line
Site Sponsor

Post by Bottom Line »

Switched to Optimax (sp? batteries. They can't "cook off" and due to design are less susceptible to jarring and vibration...they are more expensive however.
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

BL,
Tell me more!
Bottom Line
Site Sponsor

Post by Bottom Line »

http://www.cabelas.com (You can read and see 'em)Also sold at West or Boat US or http://www.batterycountry.com

Optima Batteries
These batteries provide clean, reliable power and great cranking ability with life spans two to three times longer than the competition. They can be fully recharged in as little as one hour - half the time it takes other batteries. Spiral-cell design resists jarring and vibration, and eliminates plate shedding, the leading cause of failure in Flat Plate Deep-Cycle Batteries. Tested to exceed 350 complete discharges - outcycling conventional batteries by up to three times. Slow discharge rates means your battery can sit for a year and still start your boat. Completely leak and spill-proof, they come with a one-year warranty. New Troll Fury combines two deep 900m into one convenient package. Can be wired for 12V or 24V.
BigbaitBigfish

Post by BigbaitBigfish »

Get a DieHard from Sears, best batteries ever made....
Kai Lover

Post by Kai Lover »

The two Interstates in my Grady are 1992s. Still no problems..
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

Thanks BL, but I dont think I want to spend $300.00 on pair of batteries. Now if you have a couple just laying around I can swing by and pick them up. :grin:

Kai Lover has the same idea that I do.
spotremover

Post by spotremover »

I have always had marine batteries from Sam's on my 22' Shamrock and have been VERY happy with their performance and longevity. However, I truly believe that longevity is greatly increased by keeping these batteries topped off at all times with a trickle charger. Guest makes a pretty good one that won't boil you batteries, is very small (a little bigger than the size of a car-alarm controller), very reasonable in price, and available at West Marine. I think battery maintenance is more important than brand.
Bottom Line
Site Sponsor

Post by Bottom Line »

We decided to spend the money on the Optima batteries having had a bad experience with batteries that can "cook off". Where our batteries are located if one was every to explode we would have a maritime disaster. Going well offshore much of the time we try to do what we can to assure safety to the extent possible. Using these batteries which can't cook off is one less thing for us to worry about.
captain K
Dive Boards Moderator

Post by captain K »

a little late here, but Intersate is the only way for me.. Many years worth of running. I use a group 24 which is totally isolated from the others just for starting my F.I. Yamaha 250. I use a group 29 to run all the boat toys, i.e. underwater camera, T.V., Color GPS, Radar, Stereo/CD, (2) Vhfs, Color Bottom Machine, Bait well pump etc.yes there is more on occasion. Anyway I have never killeed the batteries.. Even in the Saltwater Classic which I was off shore for 2 1/2 days (didn't help me fishing) but it was a great time.
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

Thanks capk
I decided to go with the interstates.
A friend runs the Interstate battery warehouse in albany and I decided to trade with someone I know.
Jere Firth

Post by Jere Firth »

I am late too on this one but I use gel-cell battries....I love them can't cook them and they charge back 100%...thay can take a pounding as well the starting battery is 4 years old in my boat and still comes back 100%.......runs raido and depth finder and all other electronics....