BB's take on National Polls

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

BB's take on National Polls

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Have you guys seen the AP top 25?? #1 Given, #2 earned. Past that very questionable. I agree that the top 8 teams are unbeaten. Now this is the question. How many of the top 8 teams other than the proven Alabama team could actually handle or even make a showing against many of the teams ranked lower? What would happen if a BYU or TT had to play USC, UGA, or UF?? We all saw what UGA did to Hawaii last year and Im confident that the same would happen with any of the above mentioned match-ups. So how do these sports writers and coaches come to their votes? On down the line, yea LSU is tough but how tough? We'll find out in two weeks when they go to Gainesville. They have a very good chance to beat UF but it is not a given, never is. If I had to rank a #3, LSU would probably be at the top of the list. Ok #4, #5. Give me a break. Missouri is tough in their conference but put them against a UGA, this year, I feel it would get ugly quickyly. Yes Chase Daniel is a great QB, but could a mediocre Mizzou D handle Stafford and Moreno?? :smt009 Ive watched Mizzou several times this year and they have yet to have a dominate showing against a ranked team. Theyve played well, but not a top five team. Texas @ 5 is a solid pick for the top ten but again, could they handle many of the teams ranked a few spots lower?? #6 Penn St is a good team also, but come now, who do they play? Yes they beat the Illini this weekend handily but #6 in the country?? #7-#10. # 7 Texas Tech, Ok they are a good enough team but I dont know that they are top 10. #8, already discussed. BYU has no place in the top ten. Who have they played?? How have they been tested?? USC @ #9 is a much better team than #9 but in todays College game enviroment, you gotta bring it every Saturday. Same goes for UGA and UF this weekend with their dismal performances. UGA did not play Mark Richt football. They were outmatched on the line and did not make the necassary adjustments to be competitive against a very good UA team. Tebow had the worst game of his career along with some absolutely horrible coaching decisions at the end of the game. Meyer made some silly calls. Yes hocus-pocus works sometimes but sometimes youve got to not play with the clock and just play ball. Who in the country didnt know Tebow was gonna get the ball up the middle??? How about an end around sweep or an option play that his entire offense is based upon?? #10, USF??? Enough said. Yes they are a powerhouse in the big East but it is the big East. I root for them because I love to see a small time school do well, but what would happen if they played a USC or UGA??? I know Boise State won a couple of years ago against Oklahoma but hey, you know what they say about lifting cowpatties and finding mushrooms..... ;-) OK Enough of my analysis. I just feel that a one loss UGA, UF, USC are much better teams than most of the top ten teams. Now, with all that said, I am biased as many in the south are towards the SEC. It is frustrating to see the SEC canabalize themselves each year. From top to bottom, the competition is just tougher than other conferences. The days of gimme games in the SEC are gone. But with an objective mind, try and look at everyone else in the top 25 and their schedule. No other conference has the competition that the SEC does. Most of the other conferences in the Nation have a couple of heavyweights that go good all year long and then one of them wins at the end and the other losses, it works out. The SEC is a never can tell conference that no other conference enjoys playing. One questin, What has happened when a top ranked team has played an SEC team in the past years? Total domination by the SEC team. This analysis is not a cheerleading session for the SEC, but merely an attempt to try and understand how the AP and Coaches Polls come up with their 25 best teams in the NAtion. As far as the rest of the top 25??? UGA, UF, AUB, Then a non impressive Ohio St who is a top 15 team, only because the rest of the ranked teams arent that great. Utah, Kansas, BOISE STATE????? Come now. Wisconsin, yea they are good, probably in the top ten, actually. The rest are just filling spots in the rankings. Vandy??? Im proud of them being in the top 25 but hey, they are Vandy. The fact that they are in the SEC helps their rankings and they are undefeated, just showing that they are pretty good. One question, should an unbeaten BYU or USF be ranked above an unbeaten SEC team?? Strength of schedule must not be a factor for the vote. VT,Ok St, FRESNO STATE, who the hell is FRESNO STATE?????? Oregon, not Oregon State that beat USC, the number one team in the country. Yes they were manhandled by Penn State the week before but again, they beat USC. UCONN and Wake?? Speaks for itself, just fillers. What do you guys think? Am I way off base here? I just want to understand how these votes are derived. Hope you guys have a good week and Come on Saturday!!! I cant wait to see what unfolds as this crazy season of crazy college football continues. You guys have a good week and GO GATORS!!
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Jeffry50

Re: BB's take on National Polls

Post by Jeffry50 »

Playoff?

Roll Tide!!
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

:smt064 :smt065 :smt019 :smt040 :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Thats a lot of werds.
GULP! free since 1970.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

birddog wrote:Thats a lot of werds.
Yeah, I'm starting to think BB is hopped up on some pain killers or something, he don't sound like hisself.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

U know BD, Im always good for a few!! And yea , a playoff system would be great. Not perfect but great. No reason why a sixteen team playoff system couldnt work. An eight team playoff system would probably be more likely because of school and the christmas break but any playoff system would be awesome. If it works in highschool, why not college?? Top teams from each conference would be awesome, but then the SEC would still be punished. :smt102
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

i think while the list is flawed that it will work itself out by the end of the season it usually does..while id love to watch a playoff situation but doubt it will ever happen.