Aucilla Report 2/24/02 From Forgotten Coast Charters

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Capt. Dave

Post by Capt. Dave »

The weather was so bad this past weekend I thought I would write about a week ago Sunday. I took Angie Spears of RMS Marine Supplies and her friend Keith for a day of skinny water redfishing. Angie had purchased an inshore trip I donated to the Big Bend Saltwater Classic Banquet last June and after a few cancellations due to weather, it looked like we were going to have a good one as there was not a cloud in the sky. With it being the last weekend of closed trout season the Aucilla Landing was vacant. We left about 9:30 and with a near full moon AM low tide and a high about 2:00PM. We found the redfish in about 6" of water, over grass and mud bottom. The fish were tailing, finning and sunning and were very skiddish (as usual). At one point we were in an area several miles from no where with at least ten fish tailing when four canoes (yes canoes!) loaded with adults, kids, and gear past within 20 yards of our location. As I watched in frustration as the red torpedos sped away from the noise, one of the canoeist shouted "catching anything"? I guess they just don't understand. Anyway, we found some more fish and caught four or five in a creek using live shrimp as they didn't seem to be interested in anything else we were offering. While it wasn't a record day of catching we did see at least 50+ reds (some possibly bull material), trout, sheepshead and mangroves.

Until next time, may all canoes and jet skis sink to the abyss. :lol:

Capt. Dave