LanarkSaturday

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

wxguy

Post by wxguy »

Well, got on a boat for this past Saturday so I didn't have to old-man-and-sea it in the 14ft...Fished a place the boat Cap. called short hole and landed a bucket of big rock bass and a half dozen or so short grouper. Ran out to some other numbers the boat Cap. wanted to look at for the first time and had a hard time picking up legal sized fish...lots-o used to be legals though. Ship-shape ship mate showed me a thing or two with a jig as he boated 3 nice legal gags to 30in...two of which slammed the jig while the rod was stationary in the holder while I was dinking with shorties on Ale-Wives(LY's). So, learned atleast two things, I still love fishing and I need to buy a jig! Can't wait for my salty Dads boat to come out of the shop but enjoyed fishing with some different guys for a change! May try the reds this weekend and will post if so.
CapeHorn

Post by CapeHorn »

What type of jig was used?
wxguy

Post by wxguy »

Bullet Head All white w/Curly tail grub...but I can't find any to buy! Looking on the net for them but no luck so far. The other factor there was the 20lb test line w/a 20lb test flurocarbon leader...amazing to see this rig pulling up big grouper...the guy who was doing it was definately skilled at it...I tried it out Saturday but used a different jig...loads of fun on light line but my results were not as impressive.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Wxguy. Click on the Southern Salt Lure Co. link on any of the main pages. Call them. They can make any jig you want. Tell them you saw it here.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

CapeHorn

Post by CapeHorn »

For another option, here's a site with the bullet head jig.

http://hometown.aol.com/AJIGS/avengerpricelist.html

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CapeHorn on 2002-02-18 10:30 am ]</font>
wxguy

Post by wxguy »

Thanks fellas.....
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

wx:

How many oz. was that jig head? And what action took the grouper (fast short strokes off of the bottom, etc?)?

Tks,

Ej
Coach B

Post by Coach B »

Try Local's landing in santa Rosa Beach. Just east of destin. He has all kinds of jigs which I have used and caught grouper. :smile:
jonguthrie
Site Sponsor

Post by jonguthrie »

coach
What road is Locals Tackle on I could not find them in the phone book.
jon
wxguy

Post by wxguy »

Don't know exactly how heavy the jig was..approximately 2oz. Thanks for all the input fellas! I'm sold on jig fishing now...it is a good option if the grouper digger bite is slow.