Salted Shrimp

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

arcadiainc
Site Sponsor

Salted Shrimp

Post by arcadiainc »

On our trips to Eastpoint we stop in Carybelle and buy a few pounds of fresh frozen bait shrimp. We have been using some and freezing the remainder. Next trip we would have a frozen homogenious mass of mushy shrimp. Must be a better way. In the recesses of my tiny mind I kept thinking "salt". A few trips ago we stopped at a dollar store and I bought three boxs of table salt for a buck. Next in Carybelle we bought our customary order of frozen shrimp. Took these and placed them frozen on a large cookie sheet. Gave them a very liberal covering of salt and let them thaw. Three or four hours later the pan will be filled with liquid and the shrimp will be a healthy rose color. Pour off the excess liquid. At this point they are ready for use. Or place them in a plastic bag salt and all and refreeze them. The shrimp are much tougher and seem to get more bites. Next trip the frozen shrimp are not frozen together and are as useable as ever. Try it you will like it.
bman

Re: Salted Shrimp

Post by bman »

Chalk did that a while back...
http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... f=8&t=1500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I also seem to remember an article in FS.

My dad always salts his catfish baits.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I have been doing it since March. The only problem is the pinfish LOVE them! I usually keep a ziplock full of them in the boat.
Team Jolly Mon
fishbonez

Post by fishbonez »

I read that article bman spoke of and tired to follow their guidelines to "salt cure shrimp". It takes some practice, my shrimp seemed to shrivel up to nothing. Better luck next go round
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Use GULP!!!
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

I saw that article in FS and I've been wanting to try it for Sheepshead fishing. Maybe this post will get me motivated to try it.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I still have the 3 batches I made in March. They are tough as nails now, freshwater cats LOVE them!
Team Jolly Mon