Econfina, general info

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ddb

Econfina, general info

Post by ddb »

Headed to the Econfina River tomorrow, 12/23 with Breambuster and his son. We've never tried it B4 (normally fish Keaton), but we've heard enough good information to make us currious. I'm hoping to get a little advance info to get us better prepared. From what I've read there are 2? landings, a state park and a private ramp? Which do you all suggest? Any difficulties with the ramp. We should be arriving on a rising tide (@ 1.5'). I've read all the discussions on the obstacle course, so I won't be setting any speed records going out. Stay to the middle? I assume with the moderate tides forecast for tomorrow (2.3' at 12:30 pm and 1.6' at 5 pm) we shouldn't have any trouble coming back in in the afternoon?

I'm hoping we can pick up a few in the river, but will venture out depending on the conditions.

If anyone else plans on being down there tommorrow and don't mind teaching a neebie the ropes, I'da appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Re: Econfina, general info

Post by jsuber »

Put someone on the bow to spot big rocks, keep one hand on the Power Tilt/Trim and take it slow. Once outside go left or right and if there is enough water fish the creek mouths.
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

Use the boat ramp at the park. There are two ramps side by side and there should be plenty of water to launch. There are buoys near the mouth that mark the big rocks. I've only found one rock up river near the park.
Last edited by WaltDawg on December 22nd, 2008, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

WaltDawg wrote:...I've only found one rock up river near the park....
You live under a lucky star...surely you play the lottery every day! :-D

Seriously, those are very good tides for launching and running the Anky! Creekmouths, creekmouths and creekmouths!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
ddb

Post by ddb »

Thanks for the help. We will take it slow and enjoy the scenary. I think I might try the creekmouths :)

I re-checked the tides and there is a -.3' low at 6 am with a projected nne wind, so I guess we will take our time getting down there.
Natureboy

Post by Natureboy »

Stay at Keyton, less rocks. :o
GEAUX TIGERS!
reelcatch

Post by reelcatch »

I only know of the public landing that you pay 5.00 to launch. Watch that ramp!!!! It drops off really quick and deep, can damage your trailer. Usually the water is clear enough to see the drop off. If you stay in the middle of the ramp and go slow you will be fine.
As for the river unless it is a really low tide just stay in the middle and you are ok. On the way out the river will fork, stay right it is deeper.
I usually go back east and fish the creeks for reds. Have pretty good luck up in there catching fish around 22-26" after that I search for trout. Stop at JB,s just past the ramp entrance on hwy 98 he will also help with info.
Good Luck wish I could go.
TroutTrent

Post by TroutTrent »

If your going to try it in the river for a while the first bend in the river that cuts to the left after the no wake zone is a real good place to start and the next few bends after that are really good as well,,,,,bump glow jigs SLOWLY off the bottom and as allways in the river in the winter live shrimp on the bottom kick azz :thumbup: A catch 2000 works really well also,,,just remember SLOOOW!
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

TroutTrent wrote:If your going to try it in the river for a while the first bend in the river that cuts to the left after the no wake zone is a real good place to start and the next few bends after that are really good as well,,,,,bump glow jigs SLOWLY off the bottom and as allways in the river in the winter live shrimp on the bottom kick azz :thumbup: A catch 2000 works really well also,,,just remember SLOOOW!
Very good advice! :thumbup:
Team Jolly Mon
Sea Dawg
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Dawg »

where are the 2 landing at econfina river ive just seen one at thats at the park lol..some one has misguided you and as for the rock go wide ass open and see how far you get
Carlabear

Post by Carlabear »

You dont need to go out of the river if temp is 32 or below.... everyone says trout will be in river when its really cold. Watch the north wind because the tides wont work right with strong north wind. Tide may not come in on time! Good luck! The only time I ever damaged my skeg I was going slow and my rock spotter missed a large rock grass and wham hit it hard at 2 miles hr???? Hardly moving at all . the water temp was 49 degrees and I should have stayed in the river..... got out and took hours to get back in .This was at least 1.5 miles out of tripod :smt010
ddb

Post by ddb »

Thanks for all the help, except maybe
Sea Dawg wrote:where are the 2 landing at econfina river ive just seen one at thats at the park lol..some one has misguided you and as for the rock go wide ass open and see how far you get
:)

How do you fish the shrimp on the bottom, a carolina type rig?
ddb

Post by ddb »

reelcatch wrote:Stop at JB,s just past the ramp entrance on hwy 98 he will also help with info.
Good Luck wish I could go.
Does JB's carry shrimp?
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

Yes they do
Redfish Jim
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfish Jim »

There's rocks everywhere in that river, especially within a mile or two either direction of the boat ramp. I always just idle the first mile or so going out. It doesn't take long and it's a really pretty part of the river. Once I'm past the tree sticking out into the middle of the river (about 1/2 mile past the no-wake zone with the small collection of houses) I get up on plane...but only if there's no mud bank exposed. If the water's not reaching the grass, I just idle all the way to the mouth. That's where the oyster bars begin. It's been several months since I've been there but there used to be a series of stakes that would get you out of the river once you reach the mouth.

Then, if you go east, you could run into oyster bars for the first few miles and then some rocks and/or oyster bars after that. If you go west toward the Aucilla, you can hit rocks or oyster bars. The bottom line is that the place is treacherous. With a strong north wind, just take it easy. There is terrific fishing within 2 miles either direction of the river mouth.

Good luck. Post a report. I may go over there on Wednesday. Sorry I'm going to miss you or I would try to show you a good way out of the river.