Lanark 3/9

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mullet

Post by mullet »

Plan for saturday was to meet GS in tallahassee for an FSU baseball game. That is until Tom posted the updated weather forcast. It didnt take a whole lot of persuading before plans changed and we were checking out gear for the next morning.
I left albany at 3:45 am. last thing I checked before heading south was tire pressure. Had one very low. Ever tried to find air at 3:30 in Albany? After a 15 minute diversion to a truck stop I'm on the way. Gs and capt. Vic, of barefoot charters, met me at Casa de Mullet an we were headed for Lanark.
1st stop in 50' of water yielded a rabid pack of Sea Bass. We had them rallied behind the boat on and off. Caught several that werent hooked but were holding on to the bait. Caught a couple on the lead! The second spot in 70' showed good bottom and marked fish. We caught a few grouper there before hailing Capt. K on the radio. He told a story of big AJ's every drop and with a little persuasion from my crew we were headed 10 miles SE. Met capt K, they had a triple header when we pulled up. He informed us of the game plan, gave us his spot and headed in. Thanks to the good capt. as we quickly had our own double header and were getting slammed almost every drop. I was broken off by a BIG AJ before he could be gaffed and the bite stopped as quick as it had started. Headed back west to grouper fish. Before we knew it it was 5 and we had a lot of fish to clean so we headed for the hill. Finished washing the boat and cleaning fish, headed back to Albany at 9 pm. Arrived home at 11:30 very tired.
To sum the trip up it was awesome as usual to be off the forgotten coast with good people and hungry fish. We didnt limit on grouper but we held our own. Capt. Vic is a good fella and I hope to fish with him again. Capt K is to be commended as a Charter capt. that will share the wealth with a bunch of flunkies like us. Let it be known, if you go fishing with me and Brian you will not be in early. We tried it, it just aint gonna happen. Had grilled AJ tonight and it was a nice change. It was better than baseball, I can tell you that! :grin:
Capt. Vic with a nice piece of hard bottom(it was released unharmed)
AJ double header!
GS catching grouper on an amdassadeur
Nice gag on my 700 Calcutta, and my fishing shirt.

CapeHorn

Post by CapeHorn »

Sweet! Thanks for posting the pics, it really adds to the description of the day. The seas look like it made for a great day.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CapeHorn on 2002-03-11 10:22 am ]</font>