Steering Lube

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Steering Lube

Post by dolphinatic »

Due to the fact that I only use my boat about twice a year now, the steering has froze up yet again while sitting inside the garage. I've tried a few different greases, but none seem to do the trick. I unstuck the shaft, cleaned it, but am waiting to determine what to relube it with. I've never had this happen till last year.....guess I need to use the boat more often :roll:

What do you guys use or reccommend ????????????

"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Steering Lube

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Use it or lose it.

Also lithium grease.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Use it or lose it.

Also lithium grease.

I guess this applies for shafts of all sorts huh :oops: :smt007
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Tom, when I saw your post it made me go out to the garage and spray some white lithium grease on mine. I had a bass boat one time that was bad about locking up. I would spray PB Blaster on it and manually work the motor back and forth while someone else turned the steering wheel. Good luck bud.
Team Jolly Mon
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Hydraulic steering.

An old man tolde once if it needs lube, you ain't doing it right.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Take the steering cable out of the tilt tube on the motor. Get your shotgun cleaning kit out. Use some PB Blaster and a 12 ga. bore brush and thoroughly clean the tilt tube.

The shaft on the steering cable is a high grade stainless. The tilt tube on the motor is not. Typically, the problem is the tilt tube. Once it starts rusting it will continue to rust. The lithium will help, but it won't solve the problem. If you want to truly solve the problem, there are stainless tilt tubes available.

Ask me how I know. :-?
What was I supposed to do today?
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

That is good info John. Now tell us how you know. I am having the same problems too. Did you replace yours with a stainless tube? If so what was the cost and where did you find it?
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Tidedancer wrote:That is good info John. Now tell us how you know. I am having the same problems too. Did you replace yours with a stainless tube? If so what was the cost and where did you find it?
It happened to me a few years back. I was fortunate and found a used stainless tube. If I recall, they're around $200 new, and can be purchased from your local outboard dealer. I'm not aware of any aftermarket tubes.
What was I supposed to do today?
Fisherman989
Site Sponsor

Post by Fisherman989 »

What TinCan said is true.The tilt tube is 99% of trouble if the steering cable won't steer. It's rusted and you can clean it.... and lube it with the right greese but it'll freeze up again.
Replacing it with a stainless one is the only permanent solution. I think. :D
Geaux Fishin

Post by Geaux Fishin »

This is a good topic for me. I have a new boat 10 months old and wondered how I needed to maintain this part of the boat. I have a skiff with a Yamaha 60 4-stroke. Any suggestions?? :smt102
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

tin can wrote:Take the steering cable out of the tilt tube on the motor. Get your shotgun cleaning kit out. Use some PB Blaster and a 12 ga. bore brush and thoroughly clean the tilt tube.

The shaft on the steering cable is a high grade stainless. The tilt tube on the motor is not. Typically, the problem is the tilt tube. Once it starts rusting it will continue to rust. The lithium will help, but it won't solve the problem. If you want to truly solve the problem, there are stainless tilt tubes available.

Ask me how I know. :-?
Good as new :thumbup:

Amazing....this boat sat covered in a garage for 15 years and never had this happen :roll: I've decided that I'll just use it more to keep it from happening again. Thanks for all your input guys :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:

Team BevisRealty.com
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Found a new one for my Yammy here :beer: :beer:
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/parts.html

YAMAHA TILT TUBE W/ NUT # STT4-YN

YAMAHA TILT TUBE W/ NUT # STT4-YN

STAINLESS STEEL TILT TUBE, 7/8" O.D. X 13" W/ JAM NUT FOR YAMAHA 2 & 3CYL 40-90HP EXCEPT 1993 40HP.

OE # :

Price : $103.46
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

I can't ever figure out how to get the shaft out of the tube? Is there a secret or something?

I heard you can use ATF instead of grease if you have the gasketed fixture on there too. No matter what kind of marine grease I use it always turns to clay.
fillet-n-release
Site Sponsor

Post by fillet-n-release »

I had the same problem until I discovered Mercury 2-4-C Lube. No more steering problems. I was on the verge of switching to hydraulic. Now I can turn stop to stop with one finger.
Attachments
This is the stuff!
This is the stuff!
277.jpg (13.63 KiB) Viewed 2481 times
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I HAVE ALWAYS USED STP OIL TREATMENT ON MY TUBE STEERING AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. TAKE THE SHAFT OUT OF THE TUBE AND CLEAN THE TUBE, GET YA HAND GREASY BY RUBBING THE STP INTO THE SHAFT AND REINSTALL.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA :smt006 :smt006
FUTCHCAIRO