Bench Seat Repair Advice Needed?

Need to buy or sell something, post it here.(Only Sponsor Businesses Please)

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dale Hollow
Site Sponsor

Bench Seat Repair Advice Needed?

Post by Dale Hollow »

I originally had this posted in the Boating forum and thought it would be more appropriate to post it in this one...

Hi Folks,

Just went to KY this weekend and picked up my old 14' bass tracker that has been in the family for years. It's going to be a real project getting it sea worthy; however, it's an aluminum boat with a 50 Merc that used to run like a champ. I've been going through the engine for the past 2 evenings cleaning carbs, lubricating, etc... Looking forward to getting it into the flats!!

Anyway, I'm looking for pointers on locating a 45 - 48" bench seat replacement. The old one doesn't exist anymore. I found a new one at Cabelas for $200 ouch! I'm not turning up much on searching the internet on Google...

I could make one from treated plywood; however, I'm not the greatest at sewing vinyl by hand. I thought I would seek advice from the many project boat people on this site.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated! Any boat junk yards, etc in the Tallahassee area?

Thanks,

Dale Hollow
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

You could build the seat and have a local upholstery shop sew you up a cushion. Just a cushion with a forward flat on the bottom...put some snaps on it to hold it to the bench..Like on a flats skiff
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

You might be able to find something over in Perry at Marine Liquidators.
Semper Fi
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Chalk wrote:You could build the seat and have a local upholstery shop sew you up a cushion. Just a cushion with a forward flat on the bottom...put some snaps on it to hold it to the bench..Like on a flats skiff
Something like this Chalk :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=26448
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Yep
Dale Hollow
Site Sponsor

Post by Dale Hollow »

Chalk, Wevans, and CSMarine:

I was hoping you guys would respond after seeing the many posts that you have had in the past regard 'Project' boats! :D

I contacted Marine Liquidators in Perry and it looks like that I'm going to fabricate the base from some left over plywood and get the cushions from those folks at what seems to be very reasonable. Tim at Marine Liq was very friendly and helped me talk through a solution much less than the $200.

Now that Ms Dale Hollow has the expectation for $200, I should be able to save enough for a new rod & reel combo? :o :thumbup: :P

I'll probably be heading down their next week to see what all he has got.

Once Again - Many Thanks,

Dale Hollow...
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

No problem Dale. Some would call them "Junk boats" not "Project boats". Marine Liquidators is pretty cool. You can buy stainless screws by the pound. Lots of good stuff to spend your money on.
Tim can't help but be nice, he's a former Marine. :wink:
Semper Fi