Inshore Carabelle

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Nathan
Site Sponsor

Inshore Carabelle

Post by Nathan »

Hows the fishing inshore out of Carabelle? Going to be fishing that area the first weekend in April and am looking for some areas within a couple miles to fish. I'm used to fishing more pronounced bay systems up here in the Destin area. I suspect the trout will be moving into shallower water by early April. Where are some good flats to drift fish and such?

Thanks,
Nathan
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Lots of areas, this is a good place to start..

Chalk

Post by Chalk »

That is Lanark DS :roll:
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

An awesome place. Dog Island Shoal is as much fun in April as you could ask for. Its ~1 mile south east. spanish, blues, jacks, cobia
The neighborhood for trout is very good east of Lanark.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Nathan, your best bet will most likely be across the bay behind Dog Island or St. george island. That water should be clearer than the mainland side and the fish get a lot less pressure over there.

Don's map shows Lanark reef which is about 2 miles to the NE of the Carrabelle River. It is great sometimes, but you really need to run to the NE end of it towards Turkey Point to get into more consistant fishing.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Nathan
Site Sponsor

Post by Nathan »

Thanks for the help. The West end of Lanark reef is definately in my range, and possibly Dog Island also if it is calm. My topographic map software doesn't even have Lanark reef on it. I'll probably pick up a good chart for the area before I go also.

Nathan
rev
Site Sponsor

Post by rev »

Nathan, if you're planning on using a yak (and I suspect you might, judging from your website), be warned that Dog Island is a heck of a paddle and that bay can grow fangs in no time. Lanark reef is a cake paddle; you might also look into driving over to St. George, going to the state park, and fishing the back side of the island.
Nathan
Site Sponsor

Post by Nathan »

I'm taking my new Bimini 15 down to fish for the weekend. Rough water doesn't bother me as much as fighting currents does. I have paddled quite a bit in the gulf so know how to handle rough water. Unless it is dead calm I won't be trying the Dog Island paddle though. The distance isn't too bad. I was originally looking at camping on St.George Island and fishing around it, but I would rather avoid the half hour drive into Carrabelle. I may end up on St.George Island yet if I can't find a room. Island View Inn is where I'm trying to get a room. It appears to be fairly close to Lanark Reef so that is a plus.

Nathan
rev
Site Sponsor

Post by rev »

There's distance, and then there's distance over open water. It's no big deal to have a day where you paddle 15 miles or more; it's quite another thing to paddle across 4 miles of wide open, windy, choppy bay (and where you find wind and chop, you will also find current). My point was be safe--if you do it, do it with a buddy, or have someone with a boat that you can call to come get you. You do not want to be standing on Dog Island when the wind turns 20-25 out of the north and you have to paddle back to Carrabelle.
Nathan
Site Sponsor

Post by Nathan »

I only plan on making that trip if it is dead flat and the tides aren't too bad. I always carry VHF radio and cell phone for emergencies. There will be plenty of boats there that weekend. I've had to paddle long distances against rough water and wind before and don't care to do it again. Lanark Reef is where I plan on doing most of my fishing.

Nathan
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Nathan, you ought to see if you can get one of the guys in the bigger boats like Captain K or Wahoo to see if they would mind ferrying you and your yack to the island that morning. That way you only have to paddle one way.

Prevailing winds should be S or SSW so it should make for easier paddling back across.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Littoral

Post by Littoral »

I agree with Tom, you really need to run to the NE end of Lanark towards Turkey Point to get into more consistent fishing. The west end of Dog Island is great in/around the channel. If you head out of Lanark learn the route & watch the tides because it'll leave you high & dry on a minus. By the way, I fish out of a kayak a lot. Lanark-east is my new territory after living, and fishing, in Walton County from 83-93.
RedMann
Site Sponsor

Post by RedMann »

Island View is an ideal location for fishing that area -- literally right at your back door (okay, so the reef is a little east of the back door but close). :thumbup:
Now, as for the accomodations themselves ... not exactly 4-star ... :roll:
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Not sure if there is even 1 star in Island View.. :o
Nathan
Site Sponsor

Post by Nathan »

Yeah, from what I've heard Island View isn't exactly the nicest place to stay, but all I really need is a bed. The price of a room at Island View isn't bad either, and the location is good. Thanks for the help ya'll.

Nathan