Keaton 4/18, Inshore/nearshore

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ddb

Keaton 4/18, Inshore/nearshore

Post by ddb »

Myself, Breambuster, and BBJr headed to Keaton with the plan to do some inshore trout fishing and head out for some nearshore action when the wind permitted. Forecast was for the wind to switch to the SE around noon or so and dye down a bit. Hit the marina a fairly decent time (given our drive) only to find a stack of boats waiting to get launched. Finally got fishing around 10 just about the time the tide died. Tried for trout with limited success, but BB did pick us up a pile of pins. Worked our way out, stopping along the way to see if we could pick up any Spanish or flounder, nada there as well. Wind was starting to lay down so we ventured out a bit more. Made it to our nearshore spot and picked up a nice mixed bag of Sheepshead, spanish, Pompano, and grunts. Hooked up several short grouper that we got to the boat and one larger grouper that didn't think much of my trout outfit The Pompano went around 4#. My first. :thumbup: Good fight on the trout rod. The Sheepshead wanted shrimp, the grouper pin fish, and the others didn't seam to care as long as it was moving in the water. Water temps were running a cool 64 in the morning and warmed up to 68 in the afternoon. Trout fishing for us was a bit of a bust, but we came home with some good fish none-the-less. I'm sure BB will add some pictures, although we had less Kodak moments this trip than last cuz he was too busy fishing. :D
leesburgga

Re: Keaton 4/18, Inshore/nearshore

Post by leesburgga »

Sounds like a great trip. I have been fishing out of st. marks and have only tried keaton a couple of times. I am planning on heading to keaton more often. Not asking for numbers or specific spots, but generally how far are the nearshore spots that hold these type of fish.
Breambuster

Post by Breambuster »

Calvin and I had a good time, thanks for the ride. Its nice to be able just fish and not worry about running the boat. We sure caught a lot of different species of fish.

Our main target, of course the sheepheads. This one was barely hooked:

We ended up with a couple dozens of them:

We also run into a couple of bluerunners:

We also brought in a few of these, none were legal but the one Dave broke off may have been closed. This one was around 20''.

Calvin also caught a mysterious (at least to me) fish. It's about 12'' long. Any idea what it is?

And finally, the Dave's pompano. Thought its was a Jack at first, good thing he didnt try to horse it in.

It's a nice fish for sure.
Perch Jerker
Site Sponsor

Post by Perch Jerker »

Good day on the water guys. :thumbup:
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

That's quite a veriety of fish. :thumbup: :thumbup:
What was I supposed to do today?
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Super!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Nice trip. :thumbup:

I don't feel so bad about my slow trout day on Saturday. If you, BB and Calvin didn't get into the trout, that means they were tough to figure out. Nice mess of fish!
"Plan for the worst."
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Mangrove Snapper.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?