Mexico Beach

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BuggMann222

Mexico Beach

Post by BuggMann222 »

This weekend was our 12 year anniversary so the wife and I headed to Mexico Beach for some quality time. I packed the surf rods of course and even found time to use them. It was very very slow fishing. I only got one hit Saturday and nothing Sunday. At least the one hit was 15" to the fork. Fellow next to me also got a Pomp Saturday. Heard talk of whiting but didn't see any. Everyone I talked to was using shrimp. Some had tried sand fleas but gave up on them. I didn't even try. Sunday was a wash out fishing but I had fun with the wife on the beach. The wife was in charge of the camera. No picture of the pomp. Well..... at least she took a picture of the smalest ray I ever caught. This guy was no more than 5" across.
Got to eat at Peppers and the Sunset Grill in St Joe. Always stop at Regan's in Beacon Hill. Got to Panecea and realized we missed the Blue Crab Festival. Not to be defeated we found some frozen ones and a few live ones.
Got home and got cookin. Filleted the pomp, skinned it and cut out the blood lines. Basted it with a mixture of butter, fresh garlic, and Caribbean jerk seasoning. Fired up the grill, added a little pecan wood for smoke, and slow cooked it with indirect heat (all the coals on one side). While I was smoking the wife was frying soft shells and boiling corn on the cob. We did good. Best pomp ever. Best soft shells I ever had.
When i fillet a pomp I always get the head meat with it. Wife didn't get to eat any head meat. She saw it hang off there and thought it was nothing special. She fed it to her damned old cat before I knew it. He ate the whole thing.
Even with limited success fishing I have to say it was a good weekend. We had a lot of fun and ate real good.
"If you believe you have a foolproof system, you've failed to take into consideration the creativity of fools." - Frank Abagnale