Dog Island Cobia 5/31

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Bow'd Up

Dog Island Cobia 5/31

Post by Bow'd Up »

Friday afternoon, my wife decided that she wanted to spend the weekend at our beach house in Eastpoint. I debated whether to carry the boat but had a brand new Power Tech prop that I really wanted to try. So we left out with boat in tow for eastpoint. Did not fish at all Saturday because the kids wanted to spend the day on the beach. Casey Cook and Bad Behavior showed up at the house the spend the night and fish team seatrout out of Carrabelle so after a few :beer: they headed off to bed for an early start. I had also planned to fish Carrabelle today but opted for a later start than CC and BB. We put in the Carrabelle river around 2pm today and head to the east end of Dog Island for reds and trout. Unfortunately due to circumstances beyond my control, the only picture my wife took on the water was of my two pranksters as we headed out of the river.

We got to our fishing spot and the kids wanted to catch pinfish which was fine with me so I cut up a gulp shrimp and broke out the bream poles. In short order we had some live bait so I rigged a Stradic 4000 on a 7.6 heavy action Carrot Stix loaded with 30lb braid tied to a Cajun Thunder along with a 36",25lb flurocarbon leader and a 4/0 Owner circle in hopes of tying in to a big red or trout with a lively pinfish. What happed next blew my mind and lead to a 1 hour 15 minute fight that with a little luck and a lot of chasing, we finally won. I flung the pinfish out as far a I could and put the rod in one of the rod holders on the t-top. I jumped down to help the kids with their pinfishing and heard the drag on that 4000 screaming. I grabbed the rod and the battle was on. Not sure what I had, we never saw the fish the first 20 minutes of the fight. I almost got spooled after the initial hook up so the got in hot pursuit with the boat. Finally, we saw what was giving that poor Stradic such a fit. The biggest Cobia I had ever seen. After an hour and 15 minutes, I finally got a gaff in that fish. He literally wore my arse out. We were all so worn out, no pictures were take on the boat as that was the last thing on our minds. Official weight 56 lbs and 49" to the fork.

I had to buy this 120 qt ice chest a Crums becaus the fish box on the boat would not hold the fish and I had to fold him up to get him in the new ice chest.
big bend gyrene

Re: Dog Island Cobia 5/31

Post by big bend gyrene »

WOW!!! :smt103 :smt103 :smt103 That right there is a HOSS!!!

MANY congrats on a GREAT and victorious fight! :beer: :beer: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
FinsNGrins

Post by FinsNGrins »

Thats a biggen...
CATCH 22

Post by CATCH 22 »

Dang nice cobe,beats my best by 20lbs. Heck of a job getting that one to the gaff!
You’ve reached middle age when all you exercise is caution.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Now that is one sweet Ling!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
leesburgga

Post by leesburgga »

That is AWESOME! I bet there was some excitement on that boat. Congrats!
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

I bet that bruiser had everyone running circles around the boat. :thumbup:
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

That's a good un for sure Robbie.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Dayuummmm Robbie!!
I guess that's why my phone didn't ring.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Nice work Robbie. That is a heck of a family trip!
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
caseycook

Post by caseycook »

GREAT Cobe, BU! Sounds like it was an awesome trip with the family. Thanks again for letting me stay at the beach house on Saturday night. :beer: :beer: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Boom goes the dynamite.
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Very nice.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Atticus, I would pay a few bucks to see you grab a cobe that sized by the tail and bring it in the boat! :-D

And not to say I doubt you could do it... just to say it would be fun to watch. :thumbup: :pop_1
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Real nice fish you got there.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

GEEZ! I bet those lil' "pranksters" loved seeing you fight that fish!
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image