Aucilla 03-13-2004

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Aucilla 03-13-2004

Post by Tom Keels »

Today was a special day. It was my son Jackson's first trip to the Aucilla, as well as his first real fishing trip. He will be 3 on St. Patrick's Day and he is already Daddy's boy.

I was so excited about the trip that I could hardly sleep. In fact I was up at 5 am and dressed by 5:20. I decided to see if I could wake the boy. I whispered to him, "Jackson wake up, its time to go fishing." To my surprise and overwhelming joy, he nearly lept out of bed and was ready to put his clothes on.

He dressed while I packed his snacks and things and we left the house by 5:30. A quick stop at McDonald's for breakfast and we were on the road.

First stop was Jerry's for some live shrimp which my son was intrigued by, but would not touch. I borrowed a bowl full of gravel rocks from the parking lot so if it was slow, the day could be salvaged by pitching them in the river.

Next stop was the Aucilla ramp. I got the boat launched and we struck out down the river. It was a might chilly and I started slow, but that was quickly overruled by "Go faster Daddy!" So I kicked the jon boat up on plane and off we went down the beautiful Aucilla. Some slides and turns later we were at our first fishing destination, Sulfur creek.

Water was slick and hardly any wind so we drifted down the channel edge. I rigged his Spiderman Spincaster with a big live shrimp under a CT and helped him cast it behind the boat. I set it down thinking the button was pushed. I told him to watch the cork and if it went under to start reeling. As I reached over to get another rod I hear "bumpity bump bump bump, splash!" As I turn around I see the little rod and reel skipping across the creek as if it were attached to a rocket sled. Whatever hit was big and moving fast.

Jackson wasn't really phased by this and insisted he could get it back if I let him use the net. "No, I think it's gone son. We'll get another one for your birthday. I'll let you use my rod." And with that I slid out the anchor and pitched the big shrimp out.

About 2 minutes later, the cork is gone. I handed the rod to my son and said "REEL!" He was working it like a champ and the first fish of the day was in the boat. A healthy 15.5" trout. His first fish, and its a keeper too!

A prouder moment I don't think I have had, and a tear welled up in my eye as his smile tells the story.

A few minutes later we are rewarded with yet another opportunity. Jackson to catch a fish, and me to relish in the joy of the moment. This fish was bigger at just over 17", and also went in the box.

We had few more short strikes but by now the wind is howling and it is really cold.
Also the bowl full of rocks was dwindling, and the tide had all but stopped. I asked if he wanted to go home or stay. "I'm ready to go." I said OK and packed up everything and headed back to the ramp at WOT.

Even though the it was short, I don't remember when I've had a more fulfilling day on the water. I have a fishing partner now. Hopefully for a very long time.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

BIG
Site Sponsor

Post by BIG »

That was truly special. I almost cried reading it! You son appears to be a natural. :thumbup:
MamaK

Post by MamaK »

Way to go!

Jackson, you made Grammy proud! :D :thumbup: :thumbup:
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Great trip/report

Great day for the Keels family :thumbup:
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Take that boy every time you can. You'll never regret the time you spend with him. And, you should be proud.

Great report, my friend. :thumbup:
What was I supposed to do today?
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

wtg.. :thumbup:
Lester C
Site Sponsor

Post by Lester C »

Many thanks Tom. Fishing this area is a privilege, and doing it with your son is priceless. Mine is 14 and still loves to hit the flats with the old man. Keep it up.
sharkboy
Site Sponsor

Post by sharkboy »

Great report Tom. It reminds me of getting my oldest son started and encourages me to get my youngest started this year too.

When I was getting my oldest one started at around the same age as yours, he always seemed to hook something bigger than I would. He never lost a rod, but I sure thought he was going to a few times.

WTG :thumbup:
I must fish.
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Congratulations to you and Jackson!

That's truly as good as it gets!!!!!!
GeneO.
Site Sponsor

Post by GeneO. »

Dude, I've got goose bumps... while mine are all girls the two oldest have a great time with me and after that story I'm starting the little one this year.
Tight Lines and Screamin Drag

http://members.fishingworks.com/gosteen/
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good job Dad! :thumbup: It's gonna be a great ride for the next 15 years or so ...enjoy every minute... I certainly echo what TC said.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

:thumbup:
creech

Post by creech »

Keel, it's day like that and people like you that make me proud to say I'm a fisherman. Thanks for sharing your story with all of us. :thumbup:
Dale Hollow
Site Sponsor

Post by Dale Hollow »

Tom,

Just the motivation I needed to take my girls (age 7 and 3) on a trip like such! Even though we've had some great moments fishing the ponds here in the neighborhood, I looking forward to getting them out in the flats.

Dale Hollow
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

WTG Jackson..... :thumbup: I'm sure pops was proud too...