7/3 and 7/4 St. Marks

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

7/3 and 7/4 St. Marks

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Left both days from Shield's. Apparantely the scallop crowd isn't a bunch of early risers. Matt and I arrived Friday around 6:45 and there wasn't a sole in sight. We drove back to the gas station on 98 to break a $20 so we could put our launch fee in the self-pay pipe. When returned from the gas station it was already day light and we were still the only people moving around. We peacefully launched the boat and headed down river.

The plan was to go back to the creek where we found so many reds the week before, but this time armed only with flyrods. Notta. We knew the tides were substantially different, but the winds were also high. Though we saw some reds working edges of spartina grass, we couldn't get the flies there without spooking them. We were scheduled to meet the ladies and Matt's 3 year old boy at Riverside around 11:30, so we knew our hours of fishing were limited. I always carry a couple heavier rods on my side rod holders (they are the only rods short enough to fit in the holders that the bass fisherman before installed). Recognizing that the fly fishing was a bust, we caught some pins and headed to an area pointed to me by a local cobia expert during Thursday's meeting. Thank you sir, you didn't tell me it was your hog trout location as well. ;-)

Saw CC while catching the pins, I'm guessing he was wondering what the heck we were doing in that much water.

Upon arrival we tossed out some pins and proceeded to take a beating. I don't if they were sharks, macks or something else, but these fish bit through 50# florocarbon like it was string cheese. After retying a couple times we ran up river to meet the crew. While grabbing some food the rain started to fall. We tried to go up both the Wakulla and St. Marks to get Dylan a little boat time; however, thunder was cracking and it was time to take the families back to the hill. At least Matt was around to back the trailer, b/c this time the ramp was a little more chaotic.

Saturday Katie and I took a couple of friends to try some scalloping. Again at about 7:30 we were the only folks around Shield's. We ran out near Grey Mare and tried 3-4 different depths and locations reaping a total of probably a dozen scallops. Scalloping is hard work when you're finding them, overwhelming when you're not. I tied up some rigs for everybody and tried for some shallow water trout. We caught a few decent fish but nothing really impressive. I decided we would give some more pinfish a chance at the cobia hole. We'll no cobia (we didn't implement the full plan as it was layed out for me at the meeting either), but Pete managed his first shark and Jenn caught a 24" trout.

We had at least one other trout try and eat a pin (I saw the big yellow stomach role under the pin) and missed a couple other nice hits. Our 8-10 baitfish didn't last a total of 10 mintues. After that we headed to the bird rack to see if we knew anyone. Sure enough we did, and we spent the rest of the afternoon swimming with Boo and talking with friends.

Not a lot of fishing, but a great weekend to be on the water.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
k8show

Re: 7/3 and 7/4 St. Marks

Post by k8show »

Nice report, Brian. It was a great weekend and best 4th ever! Can you believe that this was Jen's first seatrout?
slowroller
Site Sponsor

Post by slowroller »

Nice first trout, or second. :thumbup:
cmccord
Site Sponsor

Post by cmccord »

Nice Trout...Period :thumbup: :thumbup: Sounds like a great weekend!
"You cannot change the wind, you can only adjust your sails." Del Suggs
creech

Post by creech »

Brian, It was really nice meeting you the other day. Sorry our schedules didn't allow time for lunch but maybe next time. I look forward to our discussed future fishing trip together. Tight lines :thumbup:
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Dang nice fish!
Glad ya'll got out there but you might want to keep some extra shirts on board.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Fishman
Site Sponsor

Post by Fishman »

Sounds like a great time :thumbup: