Alligator Point, Cuda"B", 7/25/09

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fish finder
Site Sponsor

Alligator Point, Cuda"B", 7/25/09

Post by fish finder »

After a client had to cancel, I had the itch to go anyway so I got together a last minute crew for Saturday and we left the dock approx 7:15. As usual, stopped off at D.I. Reef and loaded the livewell with pinfish and assorted other baitfish and headed due south to 100ft 8) As we made the 1 hour, 15 min trip I was checking the Sirrus weather radar and it looked like the few morning storms were dying out and we would have a good day. Of course, as anyone who was on the water on Saturday will testify, that all changed around 1:30. But first we were able to hit three holes that were showing some fish, both on the bottom and what looked like snapper holding about 20ft off. First drop produced a nice Red Snapper that went 14lbs on the Boga. It was the first time out for Sherman and the biggest fish he has ever caught! ;-)
Sherman's Red Snapper!
Sherman's Red Snapper!
IMG_3467.JPG (535.91 KiB) Viewed 2668 times
The snapper hit a small live pinfish on the bottm. I had some of the guys using cut bait/squid and holding off the bottom and some with live bait on the bottom. We put a couple more nice ARS and a couple more decent Red Grouper in the box before moving onto the next stop. That is where we landed some very nice Red Grouper. We had 2 go 28inches and approx. 15lbs on the Boga, including this one that Gary caught. :D
Gary's 15lber!
Gary's 15lber!
IMG_3470.JPG (476.23 KiB) Viewed 2670 times
We put a couple more in the box before we started catching short Gag and Red grouper :-? Once we started releasing fish, the big bite stopped, so we decided to try the next stop. Once we got anchored for the third time, we had a triple hook up instantly, all three were nice 22-23 inch ARS :lol: Then we began catching short grouper again. It was about this time that I began taking serious note of the darkening sky to the West. I once again pulled up the weather radar and new immediately that we were in for a ride. The squall line stretched from Lanark in a straight line south out to 50 miles. No way to go around it, no way to out run it, time to batten down the hatches. I told everybody to keep fishing while I made preparations. About 15 min. later, I pulled everyone off the deck and up into the helm and/or cabin, pulled anchor and began idling into the mess, my preferred method of riding out a storm. Of course the seas became quickly sloppy and confused and the wind gusted to about 35-40, but the worst part was the lightning which was striking every couple of minutes for about 10-15 minutes. Once that was over, it was mainly rain and sloppy seas. We had intended to be back between 3 and 4 so we had to leave earlier than planned due to the conditions not allowing us to make as much time.

Anyway, we made it back safe and sound and we all had a good time despite the "Storm"! Back at the dock, we had 7 Red Snapper, 5 Red Grouper and a couple Lane Snapper. All were quality fish which made for a nice box. :lick
IMG_3471.JPG
IMG_3471.JPG (412.8 KiB) Viewed 2667 times
IMG_3472.JPG
IMG_3472.JPG (357.95 KiB) Viewed 2667 times
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Re: Alligator Point, Cuda"B", 7/25/09

Post by WaltDawg »

Nice job on the fish and staying out of trouble with that weather out there.
cmccord
Site Sponsor

Post by cmccord »

Sounds like you made the best of the day. Good job on the Grouper. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Glad you made it to the hill safe and sound.
"You cannot change the wind, you can only adjust your sails." Del Suggs
whitebc
Site Sponsor

Post by whitebc »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the telephone.