thought I lost best friend today

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

thought I lost best friend today

Post by SHOWBOAT »

A rough day for Boo, and the rest of the Showman family. He was at the Cape with Katie and her family; everyone is in town for her graduation this weekend. Shortly after breakfeast he began throwing up and showing obvious signs of pain. Katie loaded him up right away and headed for the nearest vet, knowing she could turn around if his condition improved. She called the vet in PSJ while headed down the Cape and didn't get much of response. She decided to head south following that conversation and ended up in EastPoint. By that time Boo was trying to eat sand off the floor, grass or anything he could that would make him throw up. His intestines were hardening and his sides were beginning to expand. The vet across from the DollarGeneral in EastPoint had seen the symtems a couple times previously, but I don't believe he had ever seen a dog live through it.

In a nut shell, the dog's intestines twist, and 99% of the time the intestine is dark and dead upon examination; the only choice is to put the dog down. I received a call stating that prognisys was bad and cost of further treatment was high; with Boo being less than three years old and an intrigal part of the family no discussion was neccesary. Following three x-rays we authorized the doc proceeded with emergency, exploratory surgery. He quickly found the intestonal twist and was suprised to find it was intestine was still pink and alive. This is a credit to Katie having Boo to a vet less than an hour and half after symptems first appeared.

Additionally, I would like thank the EasPoint vet for his rapid and professional assesment and action in light of the timeline he was faced with. Approximately 35 staples (from sternim to stiffy) later, he was patched up. I was in route from Tally and arrived shortly eafter surgery and before he had emerged from sedation. Morphine is the drug of choice for surgeries of this nature, but it was not an option because it causes the intestines to go into a stagnet state as well.

We drove Boo back to Tally this eveing and he is staying with the E-vet tonight so they can monitor his heart rate, pain, etc. Aside from the cost of surgery, we have quotes for tonight's stay at both the low and high end of the spectrum which includes and EKG in the event his rate becomes abnormal. However, I believe he is truley in good hands and I can't wait to have him back tomorrow. I imagine the beginning of dove season as well as the remainder of the tournament trail this year aren't in his prospects, but that really isn't important at this point.

Stay strong good buddy. We love you, and I plan on having around for at least another decade or so.

There are varying theories on the cause of "bloating." Theories include activity too close (before or after) feeding, feeding height, anatomy (usuallly attributed to large chested dogs like Boo), but in the end there is not a scientifically accepted theory. If you see the signs I mentioned above in your dog, then it is imperative you get them to a vet asap. Thankfully Katie did, and hopefully Boo will recover fully. A rough day today, and thinking back on my initial thoughts is painful; thankfully things are promising.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
big bend gyrene

Re: thought I lost best friend today

Post by big bend gyrene »

Showboat, been there before... had a Great Dane many moons ago that had parvo as a pup and just as he got past the parvo suffered an intussusception (intestine sliding into itself)... he actually survived and lived a good life before we lost him to old age a few years back. Definitely be praying that Boo has a speedy and full recovery! :thumbup:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Nathan
Site Sponsor

Post by Nathan »

Glad to hear he made it. That's one good looking dog and sounds like he's a very important member of the family. I've always heard that you should use a raised water bowl with lab breeds to help prevent this. If they have to bend down too far to drink it can cause problems. I'm no expert, but that's what I've heard. Looking at getting a chocolate pup in the near future so been doing some research. Hopefully Boo has a speedy recovery and a long and happy life.

Nathan
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Glad to hear Boo is OK. I know what he means to you and Katie. Let me know if you need someone to check on him during the day.
What was I supposed to do today?
Reel Addiction
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Addiction »

Come on Boo!!!!! Everyone is pulling for you. Get well soon!!!
bman

Post by bman »

:smt059 for Boo and :smt059 for you two.

Quick move on Katie's part and great work by the vet!

Glad you still got your buddy!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
ttop_guy
Site Sponsor

Post by ttop_guy »

I'm glad everything is working out! :thumbup:

I have a 2 year old black lab, named Pele, I couldn't imagine losing!
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Showman,
Glad to hear Boo made it through. I had a lab pass several years ago from bloat. Speaking with the vet, he indicated the chances are very slim for survival and that the risk of bloat are much greater with the larger framed dogs (more foom in the cavity to have the stomach turn). Good on Katie for getting him there in time and you all are very lucky. Since that day, I feed my dogs in their kennels and leave them there for at least an hour prior to letting out. Received that advice from a professional dog trainer who has upwards of 10-12 dogs in his kennel at any given time. I'm sure there's still a risk of bloat, but it made sense to me to keep the dog relatively inactive for some time after eating.
"Plan for the worst."
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Dr.Hobson Fulmer is one great vet. The forgotten Coast is lucky to have such a great Dr. in their area. The people at Apalachicola Bay Animal Clinic are great too.
Being a dog junkie and running field trials and hunt test all over the Southeast I have been to many vet clinics. and ABAC is top notch.
Get well soon Boo!
Jobu
Site Sponsor

Post by Jobu »

From the pic looks like a workhorse and well trained. Hope he's picking up birds again real soon.
Yo, Bartender.. Jobu needs a refill!!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Glad to hear this one turned out okay. I won't regale you with my story, but suffice it to say my son has a bionic cash eating lab named cracker how has a new appreciation for his master after his ordeal.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
bigirishllp

Post by bigirishllp »

glad he pulled through, I lost a beautiful 5 yo Golden retriever to the bloat. By the time I found her and got her to the vet, she was in shock. Not ashamed to say I cried as I held her while the vet put her down. Like another poster said, keep em' quiet for an hour before and an hour after eating, the vet said he never had a case of bloat from an owner that does this. I've owned and trained many dogs since, and never had another following this advice.
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

Another valuable lesson taught and learned on the fourm. I had never heard of this condition in dogs! I hope you pet recovers soon.
cmccord
Site Sponsor

Post by cmccord »

Glad to hear that Boo is recovering from such an experience. My lab is 13 y/o now and still spends many hours in the field and the boat with me each year. Best wishes to many more years with Boo. :smt059
"You cannot change the wind, you can only adjust your sails." Del Suggs
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Been away this morning and just read the thread. Sounds like a VERY close call. Katie made some very good decisions in the face of some really stressful conditions. She should be patted on the head and told that she is a good girl. We're pull'n for Boo as well. Hope all continues to be good for all.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".