NFGFC Tournament 8-8-09

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

NFGFC Tournament 8-8-09

Post by Reel Cowboy »

My buddy Brett Hall met me at the house at 4:00 and we struck out for Jerry's. After a rather uneventful drive down we met up Casey and Pat, gave my monthly donation and headed to the trout waters of Econfina.
We laid out a plan on the way down the river and struck an 18" speckled trout on cast number 5 :-D . A couple of more casts and we made a move to deeper water. Brett stuck one close to the boat and we had 2 in the box before 8:00. I was pretty pumped about the way our inaugural excursion :thumbup: . We drifted that area for another 30 minutes and moved further east. We came across a deeper channel with 3'-4' of drop off and plenty of spotty bottom all around it. We set up a drift and hung into the biggest lizard fish I've ever seen, easily 16"-18" long and there were a lot of them :evil: . Every cast over the edge produced small rock bass and big arse lizards. Brett cast a GULP! jig head into the grass and had the water erupted and drag screamed. We were thinking something really cool was hooked. Dang bluefish :x . We finished the drift up with another trout in the box. We had 3 decent fish before the bottom of the tide.
Another move to a deep hole and Brett landed a 17" Gag grouper in 7' of water :o . I landed a pink mouth grunt :o . Those fish had to be lost. A few more short rock bass and it was time to move again. Our last drift got us 3 more keepers in the box.
Back at the weigh in there were plenty of nice fish. 7# and change wasn't bad in my book.
CC and Pat ran another great tournament, thanks guys. Congrats to the winners, they sure had a some great stringers. I'm looking forward to the next one already.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Re: NFGFC Tournament 8-8-09

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Nice report Mathew. Sounds like enough fish for a couple guys to stay busy
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Bow'd Up

Post by Bow'd Up »

Good job bud.....Ya'll done good :thumbup:
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Good deal...good to see you :thumbup:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."