Where were you 9-11-2001?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jsuber
Site Sponsor

Where were you 9-11-2001?

Post by jsuber »

I was in San Juan, PR working on a Pharmaceutical plant. I was inside the building until 11:00 and heard lots of folks running around with their cell phones tryting to call New York. I had no clue until someone told me in spanish that the US had shot down two planes that crashed into some buildings in New York. It was not until I got to my truck and listened to my radio that I had a clue as to what was happening.

Where were you?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Re: Where were you 9-11-2001?

Post by wevans »

I was right here in the same chair at the same desk and glued to the Internet, trying to make sense of what was happening!!
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
BayGator

Post by BayGator »

Jacksonville FL, I had just returned from NYC the day before. I had buddies standing on 42nd and 2nd waiting on a van to take them to Laguardia when the first plane hit. I only left early because I was flying to China on the 12th, but needless to say I didn't make that flight.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Was sitting at the Marine Base in Albany doing my thing.
Daybreak

Post by Daybreak »

My wife and I had gone to Ecofina fishing. We had caught our 10 nice trout and 2 reds. We came home, I was outside cleaning fish, wife saw the news on the TV, called me to come inside and see what was going on. Unbelievable. Our prayers continue to go out for those families that lost so much. We so pray for our nation. GOD BLESS AMERICA!! -- Daybreak
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I was working on telephone lines at the Atlanta Airport. It was really wierd being there when they grounded all the planes. The silence was very strange.
Team Jolly Mon
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Sitting in a staff meeting in Lubbock, Texas. Was plant manager for a plastics company at the time and we had an engineer knock on the conference room door so he could break the news. We had a large cafeteria and all the employees watched tv together until the second tower fell. With many orders to fill we made the call to go back to work... remember that we finished the day in near silence. Though I was in the IRR, I called my USMC reserve unit that evening and clearly remember them saying that it was still unclear who coordinated the attacks, but that I should not travel and be ready to leave home within 48 hours if the call came... in my case, it never did.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Ty one on

Post by Ty one on »

I was working on the Ochlockonee River Bridges on US27 here in Tallahassee. We were slipping barrier wall on the second bridge heading north along the left side of the bridge.

The crews worked very quitely on that day.
If we were all crazy, Wouldn't that make us all normal.
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

Was driving the approach road to the east gate at Ramstein AB, Germany and listening to HR1 radio. When I got to the gate I asked the MP if he could give any information on the attack in NY he replied he had no information and asked "What attack"?. He was on the phone very quickly after I updated him on what I had heard on German radio.
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

Stopped at a motel in Vidalia Ga to get a room for that night. It was bout 11:30 and saw it on tv in lobby...Clerk thought we were being invaded..Cancelled the rest of my trip and headed back home.
cmccord
Site Sponsor

Post by cmccord »

Sitting in Firefighter Class at Chipola JC. Instructor came in and said the remainder of class was cancelled for the day and we were to return home, that the US had been attacked and to turn on our radios. I returned to my Fire Station here in Monticello and was glued to the TV for the remainder of the day, awestruck.
"You cannot change the wind, you can only adjust your sails." Del Suggs
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I REMEMBER VERY VIVIDLY, CARL BROWN AND I WERE FISHING IN THE GULF. WE NOTICED MANY MILITARY PLANES OVERHEAD AND WONDERED WHAT WAS GOING ON. THIS WAS ABOUT 11 A.M., WE HAD CAUGHT OUR LIMIT OF TROUT AND REDS AND DECIDED TO HEAD BACK TO TALLAHASSEE. WE WERE EXCITED ABOUT THE GOOD LUCK WE HAD FISHING, WHEN WE GOT ALMOST TO THE CAPITAL ON MONROE ALL TRAFIC HAD STOPPED, AFTER ABOUT 10 MIN. WE SHUT DOWN THE ENGINE AND PUT DOWN THE WINDOWS, THEN THE FELLOW IN THE TRUCK NEXT TO US TOLD US WHAT HAD HAPPENED. THEY ROUTED US AROUND THE GOVT. BUILDINGS AND NORTH SEVERAL BLOCKS OVER IN FRONT OF THE CAPITAL. I TOLD CARL THIS IS ONLY THE BEGINNING, THOSE DAMN MUSLEMS WILL CONTINUE TO DO STUFF LIKE THIS UNLESS WE ROUND THEM UP AND DEPORT ALL OF THEM. WE WENT BY KEVINS AND EACH BOUGHT A CASE OF 270 SHELLS , WE KNEW THAT THERE WOUD BE A RUN ON AMO AFTER SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPENING.
FELLAS IT IS SSTILL GOING ON, SEE WHO YA GOT FOR PRESIDENT AND WHO HE IS APPOINTING AS HIS ZARS, ALL OF THEM ARE A BUNCH OF CROOKS AND FELONS AND IT IS ALMOST AS BAD IN THE CONGRESS AND THE SENATE. WE NEED TO SWEEP HOUSE AND GET RID OF THE WHOLE BUNCH AND GET SOME PEOPLE THAT HAVE SOME BRAINS IN THERE TO RUN OURCOUNTRY.
FUTCHCAIRO
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

I was tending to my father who was bed ridden and undergoing treatment for cancer. Just stopped by the house to check on him when I popped on the news as the second plane hit.
Flanders
Site Sponsor

Post by Flanders »

I was sitting in my little office drawing cotton duct systems for a small fabrication shop listening to John Boy and Billy. Nothing else got done that day. Stayed in constant contact with my wife waiting for one of us to give the other orders to get our daughter out of school and bunker down at the house. I remember us camping out in the living room that night with my family and watching the news till almost 3AM.
I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem
GatorBaiter

Post by GatorBaiter »

I was sitting in a Reproductive Physiology and Endocrinology class at UF waiting for the first test of the semester ( think I was slightly hung over). Professor (ex marine) came into the class wheeling a tv. He set it up and told us that there were historic events taking place that were more important than the test. We watched in silence as the second plane struck and the towers fell. Classes were cancelled for the day but I have never seen a more somber mood around that campus. The next day both of my brothers joined the army. One is currently serving his 5th tour in Iraq. The other caught an express flight to Walter Reed after his 3rd tour in the Afdamnistan. He is honorably discharged with life changing disabilities but doing great and just celebrated the birth of his first child. God Bless America and our Troops!
"People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
Boy...we sure have come a long way since then!