Shrimping the St. Marks???

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Gator_56

Shrimping the St. Marks???

Post by Gator_56 »

I've never been shrimping but a buddy of mine mentioned to me that he thought they were running this time of the year. Do any of you guys know anything about it and could might point me the right direction. I am heading out from the lighthouse at daylight in the morning and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, are the reds running the creeks good yet... that's my game plan in the morning plus I'm going to try to cast net some mullet.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Shrimping the St. Marks???

Post by fishinfool »

My plan to head out from the lighthouse at daybreak too. It looks as if it is going to be a creek kind of day with the wind up and all. I am hoping the low tide is not so low that I can't get out once I get in.
FF
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

fishinfool wrote:It looks as if it is going to be a creek kind of day with the wind up and all.
FF
SUNDAY
SOUTHEAST WIND AROUND 10 KNOTS. SEAS 1 TO 2 FEET.
PROTECTED WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS IN THE AFTERNOON.
Gator_56

Post by Gator_56 »

Just wanted to bump this to the top... still hoping someone can give me some insight into catching some shrimp!
sosprey

Post by sosprey »

Gator -
I've never seen anybody shrimping in the St. Marks - I'd be kinda leery tossing my net around where I didn't know what was down there. Lotsa oysters and stuff to hang on.
Cheer up, it gets worse...I did, and it did!!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

This time of year go to Mud Cove for your shrimp.

(another one of my holes)
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Come to think of it... anyone would be hard pressed ta find a holie'r fellow that ole JT
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Yep, just about anywhere along Aligator Point should be good right now :thumbup:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

wevans wrote:Yep, just about anywhere along Aligator Point should be good right now :thumbup:
Went to Mud Cove today and found some bigguns.
Didn't see alot of fish action even though the area was ate up with scrimps and baitfish.
We would putt around until we ran into them popping the surface. One throw would get several dozen.

JB
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Sir reel wrote:

Come to think of it... anyone would be hard pressed ta find a holie'r fellow that ole JT

Reverend JT51. That just don't sound right..... :smt005

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Hell fire and brimstone.......everyone is on my holes anyway. I may as well fess up with whats' there and when.
Besides, I am going to find some new holes. There is plenty out there where the fish stay that nobody fishes.YET.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Gator_56

Post by Gator_56 »

Thanks for all of your responses. I'm going to try to get out there Sunday AM. I'm not super familiar with the area yet, what's the best way to get to mud cove? I live in Tallahassee and usually go out from the light house. Come to think of it I don't even know where mud cove is but.... have boat will travel!!
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Gator_56 wrote:Thanks for all of your responses. I'm going to try to get out there Sunday AM. I'm not super familiar with the area yet, what's the best way to get to mud cove? I live in Tallahassee and usually go out from the light house. Come to think of it I don't even know where mud cove is but.... have boat will travel!!
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
Gator_56

Post by Gator_56 »

woopty wrote:
Gator_56 wrote:Thanks for all of your responses. I'm going to try to get out there Sunday AM. I'm not super familiar with the area yet, what's the best way to get to mud cove? I live in Tallahassee and usually go out from the light house. Come to think of it I don't even know where mud cove is but.... have boat will travel!!

Thank You Woopty. One last question, is it better to try cast netting shrimp on a hi tide or a low tide... as you can tell i have never done this!
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Gator_56 wrote:
woopty wrote:

Thank You Woopty. One last question, is it better to try cast netting shrimp on a hi tide or a low tide... as you can tell i have never done this!
Better at lower tides. Careful, most of the cove is just a couple feet deep.
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB