Econfina River 03-24-2002

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Started the morning by dragging the Keywest off a sand bar in 39° temps because of a tide that was several hours late. Wet and cold and stiff east wind did not bode well. Went to the #2 bird rack started with jigs, put a 16" fish in the boat, then nothing for an hour.

Ran in 2 miles fished a jig/cajun thunder, 18 1/2" fish. Then nothing for an hour.

Ran in another mile. Started with yozuri, put a 16 1/2 inch fish in the boat and watched several other fish come up and look at or just mouthe the bait. Sonny missed a big fish on a chug bug. Tide finally coming in good we wanted to try for a red.

Got to the shoreline with 2 feet of water. I fished a spoon with a chart twin curly tail, Sonny fishing with jig. No sooner did we get there, Sonny hooked up with a big trout. 21 1/2" in the boat. We eased in front of a small creek and cast. I hooked up with a fish that I am sure was my biggest ever. This trout came out of the water shaking his head like a bass and spit the spoon. No doubt this fish was 6-7 pounds. Quick throw back in and I hook up again as does Sonny. I can see Sonny's fish is over 20" as is mine. I get mine to the boat, 22 1/2", but Sonny lost his. I told him no matter because we would have had to throw it back anyway. Sonny threw back in and was hooked up again, this time with a puppy red.

We continued to work down the bank and seeing the some of the biggest trout I've ever seen sunning themselves in the shallow water. Every fish we spooked looked to be 3 pounds or better with some in the true "gator" status. Funny thing is everyone and their brother was going to Rock Island, while we had the place pretty much to ourselves.

After a couple more misses Sonny puts a nice 18" flounder in the boat. We decide that we have plenty of fish and would like to get home at a decent hour. We left the water at 1:00 pm.

Total tally:

5 trout 16", 16 1/2", 18 1/2", 21 1/2", 22 1/2"
1 18" Flounder

Bailey

Post by Bailey »

Great report. Depending on the weather, I may have to sneak out there this week.

Bailey :smile:
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

Gator trout huh? You did better than me. I caught a few keeper trout out of St. Marks, and way too many Spanish Mackeral! Grubs and spoons worked for me, I couldn't catch pinnfish in 8ft of water.
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Good report Tom,

You did very well for an East wind day.

That is the one wind that can stop me going fishing. I have had too many "blanks" when the winds in the East. :sad:
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Will Fish,

You can never catch too many Spanish Mackeral. I would catch them till my arm fell off. :lick:
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Jere Firth

Post by Jere Firth »

Tom...sounds like you got them trout and reds all figured out...What a great report and the fishing can't much better then what you had......

Jere
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I must be a great writer then.:grin:

Actually the day was fairly slow except for about 5 minutes there.
Tom Keels
Site Founder