Boston butt

Post your favorite recipes here.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

chugbug

Boston butt

Post by chugbug »

I know it's not fish but for Christmas I usually smoke a Boston Butt and sausage. Here's how I do the butt:
I have the barrel shaped chargriller with the chimney on one end.

Go to a meat market and get a butt that HAS NOT been injected with water or anything else.
Choose one with lots of fat on it
Rub it with yellow mustard the night before the smoking, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate
The next day rub with your favorite spices or get a rub from the store( I do the latter because it's just easier)
Line the grill with charcoal from one end to the other.
Only light one end of the charcoal and get it hot/ add smoking chips if you prefer
Place the butt under the chimney on the top rack with the fat side up and a pan of water just under it
close it up and keep the temp around 200* for about an hour per pound
A meat thermometer is very important. Try to get the meat to 200 degrees inside. The hotter the more tender your pulled pork is going to be
Remove from grill and let sit for one hour cover in foil
Pull apart with pork and serve. I don't add BBQ sauce to the meat. I just have it available if someone wants to add it.

It will be black on the outside. Thats just the crust and probably the best part.

Oh yeah, you might want to have a good supply of these :beer: :smt006
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Re: Boston butt

Post by RodBow »

Can you deliver by Christmas lunch?
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
bman

Post by bman »

I'll take mine tomorrow please!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

I do pretty much the same except for the water. I used to have a water smoker wasn't sure what it was for. The mustard is a must.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Thanks for the recipe Chugbug. :lick: I've been smokin' my butt from the wrong end all these years. :oops:
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

WaltDawg wrote:I do pretty much the same except for the water. I used to have a water smoker wasn't sure what it was for. The mustard is a must.
The water adds steam and keeps it moist. Don't want your butt to get dry. :lol:
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

That's what I figured, but wanted to get your opinion. That's a good idea. I plan on using it from now on. My rig has a smokebox on the side so a pan of water would work just fine. I've had a problem with keeping a good temp because my wood catches sometimes catches on fire even if soaked and raises the temp quickly. I've tried different sizes of wood, that's what she said. Do you use green wood or is dealing with flame ups just part of smoking?

I smoke a lot, but I'm interested in everyone's techniques. Maybe we need a smoking forum Tom, LOL
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

I don't have a fire box. Sometimes I wish I did. The way I lay the charcoal out and set the vents it'll burn constant for about 8 hours or so. It just keeps lighting new coal as it goes.