Drive system

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

reelcatch

Drive system

Post by reelcatch »

http://www.thedavisdrive.com/kayak.php
Wondered if any of you guys had seen these and what your thoughts would be on them.

Thanks
Jim
Coastal Angler Mag

Re: Drive system

Post by Coastal Angler Mag »

Power kayaks are nice, I enjoy paddleing but having a motor on the back is good when you went to far or have a head wind. Im not a big fan of battery power mainly because of the weight, I have a 16 footer with a 1.5 honda 4 stroke jet drive system on mine it will really get you where you want to go and pretty quick to
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Don't think it would work on my kayak. I stay in super-shallow water with rocks, oysters, mud and grass. I also drag my yak across limerock, gravel and sand on a somewhat regular basis. The little motor would never last.

I have a little boat for when the wind is too ruff or if I want to go farther, I might would be more open to the idea of powering my yak if it were the only boat I had.

Looks like it would be fun if you are in deep enough water.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Looks like a wreck waiting to happen with the propeller assembly below the keel like that. :smt104
Somebody ought to design something that won't drag bottom. :smt115
I'ld like to see that jet-drive setup, CAM. :pop_1
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

A couple things I found when I was fiddling around with a trolling motor on a canoe were:
1. I had to register the canoe. Quit doing that when I quit running the motor on it.
2. Draws more water. Draws a lot more water with the motor down. I might as well have had a powerboat in this regard.
3. My batteries last all day as long as I have something to eat and drink, easily outlasting the charge on the battery for the trolling motor.
4. The motor and battery were two more things to hassle with.
5. The motor made it easy to run further than I wanted to paddle back if something went awry. Not to be confused with going a rye. Which may involve whiskey or sandwiches.