Need some reports guys!!!

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

troutfisher07

Need some reports guys!!!

Post by troutfisher07 »

Hey guys,
This is horrible but this time of year i use my guys that reply to this as my guinea pigs! Hahahahaha! I need to know what is being caught around keaton and econfina and if "gulp" is still doin the trick because baits vary every year! Thanks guys!!

Mike
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Re: Need some reports guys!!!

Post by captkeyser »

Trout and Reds! If "gulp" is working then you can't bet your arse that everything else is as well. :-D
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Gulp is not the go-to-bait right now. Use topwaters, plugs and spoons until the water warms back up a bit. I fished for 5 hours without a bite on Gulps the other day, went back the next two days and limited out twice on jerkbaits.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

red_yakker wrote:Gulp is not the go-to-bait right now. Use topwaters, plugs and spoons until the water warms back up a bit. I fished for 5 hours without a bite on Gulps the other day, went back the next two days and limited out twice on jerkbaits.
My point exactly. :smt023
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

captkeyser wrote:
My point exactly. :smt023
Ahh, I see. I mis-read. :thumbup:
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

They do work well on a Sabiki rig though. :roll:
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

I fished out Econfina on Tuesday. Didn't get the first bite till 1:00pm. From 1:00pm - 2:30pm we limited out on trout from 16"-19". I threw twitchbaits and my buddy threw a 3" pearl gulp. We caught the same amount of trout, but mine were the bigger ones :wink: No reds though..... :( Water temp read 60 so I hope it keeps creepin' up :thumbup:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

i went tues. and used gulp's and caught my limit with a few over 20 in. and then went to messin around with a suspending bait and caught my biggest one on it about 24in. with about 4 more slots in just over an hr.,but this was all the bad weather made it through here.
troutfisher07

Post by troutfisher07 »

Thanks guys!! Yea, I stopped goin down about 2 years ago until about mid April, and ill catch the shart out of 'em then! Now I have read a couple of reports where people arent havin luck with gulp that much, I used to catch 'em in January with gulp, it has never let me down! My opinion is these damn fish get smarter than we do every year!!!! Hahahaha!! But thanks for the advice guys ill be down there slayin 'em soon enough!! "Them trouts can run, but they aint no way they're gonna hide!!!"

Mike
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

I think you can get a bite or two on a Gulp any time of the year, but right now the jerkbaits and topwaters seem to be outperforming the Gulps (According to my own experience and that of most of the people I know who fish this area).

I think you have to think similarly to the way the fly fishers do up north. You gotta match the hatch. If there are a lot of shrimp on the flats, the fish are most likely actively hunting and eating shrimp, but if they haven't seen a shrimp in months, they are most likely actively feeding and eating on baitfish. Sure, a trout will eat a shrimp if he stumbles on it, but if he's actively looking for a baitfish, you're much more likely to get a bite with a baitfish imitation than a shrimp. (my own theories and opinions, none of this is fact or supported by any science that I know of)

Don't get me wrong, if there is such a thing as a universal bait, I think Gulp is it. I've just been trying to ween myself of of em lately, and have been having some good luck with it. Gulps make you lazy, you forget how to fish (at least I had). Fishing lures is soooo much more fun, especially topwaters!
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Juvenile trout eat shrimp. Gators eat mullet/Pinfish/Pigfish/Rockbass and other trout. :D Nuff said, right? :thumbup:
TroutTrent

Post by TroutTrent »

captkeyser wrote:Juvenile trout eat shrimp. Gators eat mullet/Pinfish/Pigfish/Rockbass and other trout. :D Nuff said, right? :thumbup:
you forgot dogs, deer and people :-D
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Them too. Found one with a trolling motor prop in one time. :wink:
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

captkeyser wrote:Them too. Found one with a trolling motor prop in one time. :wink:
That just makes them spicey. :D
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

Jim harvey here boys, we ain't LEE but we'll give you some advice, we been doing good on them jerk baits and few spooks here and there ain't nothing like the mid summer brim tho on the creek boys but them trout sure is fun just try your jerk bait and see we ain't told ya so

Jim harvey