St. Marks Flats

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rx fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by rx fisher »

My first post,
Went to St. Marks today, lauched at the Lighthouse. Little scary passed 3 boats on their way out, about 9 am. Not a single boat in the parking lot, I'm kind of new to this. Carefully watched weather and thought things would settle down and the water would come back. Lowest tide I've ever seen at St. Marks, North east wind I guess.
With my son and wife we stayed close to shore, never more than 2 miles out. We used live shrimp and pin fish. My son caught 1 16 inch trout, will be eating him, sorry her in a few minutes, lost a couple others and tied into something really big, on my big rig and had to start the motor to catch up, very exciting, but went under the boat before we could see it, a big ray I guess, my 11 year old son is really catching the fever,
Great day on the water, the weather guys, I have to give the credit for another stolen day. :smile:
Jere Firth

Post by Jere Firth »

RX....Take your time you will get the hang of it..... the more you go the easer it will get that 11 year old will realy enjoy more and more too........I had three daughters and they all enjoyed some sort of fishing.......

Jere
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

If it was a ray chances are it would not have run under the boat. All the rays I have caught in my life run straight away from the boat into deeper water and hardly ever turn. A better guess would have been a cobia or bull redfish. They both fight exactly as you describe.

And like Jere said, keep it up. That area you were in will be hot as a match in a week or so and you won't be able to keep the fish off.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

rx fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by rx fisher »

Your posts were very encouraging, can't wait to get back on the water, by the way week ago Saturday in that general area, my wife caught a 19 inch trout and my son a 4 foot shark. Thinking I might have caught at Bull red fish is starting to sting now, Thanks for the info.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Just remember the fish that got away was always the biggest one you ever hung. It is never a ray or a shark. :lol:
Tom Keels
Site Founder

dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

Tom is right.
We've all lost state record fish :lol:
It's a small world, unless you had to paint it.