need advice on first 10wt. I want to try exteme flyfishing!

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

antoni

need advice on first 10wt. I want to try exteme flyfishing!

Post by antoni »

I'm looking to get a new salt dedicated fly rod . I got a new 17' skiff and i am inspired to get a more versatile/dedicated fly rod.
i want to be able to stay with a fly rod though out the day while my buddies are all using spinning gear and still stay on the fish.

I have a 8wt tfo pro that i use for reds :D but after watching a guy fight a AJ on fly last night on youtube my interest in moving beyond a 9wt has sparked! but do i want a 10wt or just a xtra fast 9wt that can cast a 10wt line?? i want to be able to sling a sinking line as well as sink tips and floating of course.

I want a rod that i can target large jack crevalle, albacore, schoolie AJ's off the beaches and around the comm towers of big bend but also large reds and baby goliath in the passes/bridges. i go to Fort Pierce Fla rairly regular so i want a rod that i can take down to target big snook, small-medium tarpon and permit around the bridges and inlets mouths. fishing the tips of the jetty rocks or under bridges with fast moving tides and wind that can change direction at the blink of an eye. usually the snook strike zone is very cose to barnacle infested pilons and coral so u have to be able to turn her head quite timely. so having some leverage is a must.

I'm looking for a rod with a good balance between sensitivity,lightness in hand and power. I like the sensitivity to feel every flci of the tail fish and challenging but i also want to have some backbone leverage to keep the fishes survival rate high. but most of all i want it to be a joy to cast.

i'm looking at the "Redington NTIQ" and the "Colton Tradewinds" in either 9 or 10wt. the colton tw is im10 graphite. i know im8 is pretty fast so im10 must be really fast!? both rods are around 4.9oz for 10wt. what do you guys think?

antoni
Last edited by antoni on April 1st, 2010, 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
antoni

Re: need advice on first 10wt. I want to try exteme flyfishi

Post by antoni »

hello?
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

That's alot to ask for in one rod - kinda like asking a truck that will pull a horse trailer, traverse 5'ft of water and fit in a subcompact parking space. Each rod has its own limits, each line has its own limitations. If you want to compete with spinning gear - you don't want to a 10wt - unless you have arms like popeye. We could talk about over or under lining a rod alone for a couple of pages. Find a rod you like get a 8-10-12 or 7-9-11 and a complimenting set of reels and spools with your line choice....that's my guess as to what you need to do the things you describe. No golf bag has only one club.
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

What he said.

You will need a vastly different reel for that big Jack or Aj than you will for the reds and snook. Sounds like your going to need at least 3 rods and reels with probably 1/2 a doz. different lines.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
antoni

Post by antoni »

great advice. i'll take it :D i think i'll get a faster 8 or 9wt for my jetty,surf and wind swept oyster bar apps. and focus on improving my fly presentations for reds. my tfo pro will make a good backup :D