Penn Conquer

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Penn Conquer

Post by Ron Wilson »

Anyone own/tried the Penn Conquer? I like the easy access to the guts of the real to clean/lube. Just wondering if anyone can comment on how it performs/holds up.
"Plan for the worst."
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Re: Penn Conquer

Post by Atticus »

Penn made a reel where you can get to the gears easily? Wow. I hadn't heard.
...except during every single commercial on every single fishing show... :-D :-D :-D
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Penn sure ain't what it used to be.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Ron:

This reel just came out sometime around last September, I think? I bought one! Got taken in by the advertisment. It is a good reel but also bought a Shimano Stradic 4000FI reel. I like the Stradic much better. Two reasons is that the Stradic come with an extra spool, and has a switch that takes the spool out of gear. Found the Stradic on sale for $119.95 plus tax after buying one for $179.99. Bought two more!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
CROCKER

Post by CROCKER »

15 YEARS AGO I BOUGHT A PEN OPEN FACE FOR INSHORE FISHING IT IS STILL ONE THAT I USE. I BOUGHT 3 A COUPLE OF YEARS BACK AND THEY AINT WORTH A HOOT. TWO OF THEM ARE BROKEN THE OTHER ONE HAS HARDLY BEEN USED BECAUSE YOU CANT THROW IT WITHOUT THE LINE TWISTING AND GETTING TANGLED UP. I WILL NOT PURCHASE ANOTHER PENN. GO WITH THE STRADIC THERE ARE TOO MANY GOOD REVIEWS ON THAT REEL TO IGNOR.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

it's sad that Penn has fallen by the wayside. I would go with the Shimano Stradic over the new Penn.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

I used to fish with Penn back in my early years when it was still made stateside here in the US. Now that all of their reels are being produced "over seas" their components and quality have gone down quite a bit. I don't see myself purchasing a Penn product other than their reel cleaner ever again. Stick with Shimano or Quantum :-D :-D :-D
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I was a loyal Penn user for years, mainly because they were built in the USA and were virtually bullet-proof. However, their R&D department did not keep up with changing technology and I eventually switched to other brands.

I now use Shimano tackle exclusively, which is top of the line IMO. However, all the major brands, including Shimano, Quantum, Penn, Okuma, Daiwa are built overseas, mainly in China and Japan. Many of the private label gear for Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc. are too. Accurate Reels are still produced in the US as far as I know and possibly Van Staals as well. Neither have true light-tackle models though. Tackle production, like many other manufacturing, has gone foreign and unfortunately I don't see it coming back.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Tidedancer wrote:it's sad that Penn has fallen by the wayside. I would go with the Shimano Stradic over the new Penn.
Team Jolly Mon
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Sounds like there is a business niche for some interprising Americans. salute1
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Thanks all. Got a stradic and like it, though I did feel like it was kinda grinding this last weekend. I bought a Penn a couple years ago and have had a lot of trouble with line (both braid and mono) tangling. I now use it exclusively for dragging a gulp under a CT while sitting in the rod holder. Seems to do O.K. in that environment.

Was wondering if the Conquer was offering something new....lilke improved quality/performance.
"Plan for the worst."
antoni

Post by antoni »

what about fin-nor? i have a fin-nor quest lite i bought in 1999 for $99 that still kicks azz! never been cleaned yet.