Boat Rules

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Bizzarley

Boat Rules

Post by Bizzarley »

I am going to fish out of Econfina next week and was talking to a friend that got stopped last week by a game warden who checked them out pretty thoroughly. One of the things they checked for was a whistle. I had never heard of that requirement(?). So, since the community that views these posts are the most knowledgeable about such things, I was wondering if you could either give me a list of items they will check for, or point me to a web site that has the information. I know the fire extinguisher is fine, we have life jackets, etc., but would like to make sure we have all we are supposed to.

Thanks
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Re: Boat Rules

Post by Sir reel »

Sound Producing Device

(bell, horn, whistle etc.)
Every vessel less than 12 meters (39.4 ft) in length must carry an efficient sound producing device. The sound producing device need not meet any particular specifications, as long as the vessel can produce signals required by the navigational rules.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

If you have a horn on the boat, you are legal. Now, you might get a talkign to about what if the battery dies or you fall overborad which both can happen, they can not write you a ticket for not having a whistle.
I've got both a horn and a whistle just to get out of being talked "at".
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Ty one on

Post by Ty one on »

Also, your lips do not qualify as a whistle. Somebody found out the hard way. :-?
If we were all crazy, Wouldn't that make us all normal.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

http://myfwc.com/RULESANDREGS/Rules_Boat.htm

Equipment and Lighting Requirements
■The owner and/or operator of a vessel is responsible to carry, store, maintain and use the safety equipment required by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG).
■All vessels are required to have onboard a wearable USCG-approved personal flotation device (PFD) for each person. The PFDs must be of the appropriate size for the intended wearer, be in serviceable condition, and within easy access. The State of Florida urges all people onboard a boat to wear a life jacket.
■Vessels 16 feet in length or longer must also have at least one USCG-approved throwable Type IV PFD that is immediately available in case of a fall overboard.
■A child under the age of 6 must wear a USCG-approved Type I, II or III personal flotation device while onboard a vessel under 26 feet in length while the vessel is under way. "Under way" is defined as anytime except when the vessel is anchored, moored, made fast to the shore or aground.
■Vessels with built-in fuel tanks or enclosed compartments where gasoline fumes can accumulate are required to carry at least one fire extinguisher (depending upon vessel length) which is approved for marine use.
■All vessels are required to carry an efficient sound-producing device, such as a referee's whistle.
■Vessels less than 16 feet in length are required to carry at least 3 visual distress signals approved for nighttime use when on coastal waters from sunset to sunrise. Vessels 16 feet or longer must carry at least 3 daytime and three nighttime visual distress signals (or 3 combination daytime/nighttime signals) at all times when on coastal waters.
■The use of sirens or flashing, occulting or revolving lights is prohibited except where expressly allowed by law.
■Recreational vessels are required to display navigation lights between sunset and sunrise and during periods of reduced visibility (fog, rain, haze, etc.). The U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Rules specify lighting requirements for every description of watercraft. The information provided in the following link is for vessels less than 65.5 feet/20 meters in length: http://boat-ed.com/fl/course/p4-9_navlights.htm.
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

There are a few rules that are not in the list that I personally believe should be a requirement, like a paddle, anchor, rope, etc...
But here is the link to the FWC Rules and Regs page. http://myfwc.com/RULESANDREGS/Rules_Boat.htm#equip
Happy boating. Oh, By the way there is a requirement of a boating safety course if you were born on or after January 1 1988. It is still a good idea to take one if you have never done it in the past.
FF
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

fishinfool wrote:there is a requirement of a boating safety course if you were born on or after January 1 1988. It is still a good idea to take one if you have never done it in the past.
If you're fairly new to boating or getting back into that is a really good idea. We could go on and on as to whether it should be mandatory or not the water might be a safer place especially around scallop seaon if everyone would take it.
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

I got a warning once for not having two 2" inch spaces on/in my boat number.
Heres what I have "FL#####NL" Law says it needs to be like this:"FL ##### NL"
Then he pulled away in a boat with no spaces in the number.
When I pointed that out, he reminded me he was in a good mood.
Had my whistle though.

JB
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

woopty wrote:I got a warning once for not having two 2" inch spaces on/in my boat number.
Heres what I have "FL#####NL" Law says it needs to be like this:"FL ##### NL"
Then he pulled away in a boat with no spaces in the number.
When I pointed that out, he reminded me he was in a good mood.
Had my whistle though.

JB
Did you change it? My boat is like that too.
Team Jolly Mon
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

the seperation space depends...

Vessel Registration
All vessels, with the exception of non-motor-powered vessels less than 16 feet in length, non-motor-powered canoes, kayaks, racing shells, or rowing sculls, regardless of length, must be registered through your local Tax Collector's Office.
Letters must be separated from the numbers by a hyphen or space equal to letter width.
The Certificate of Registration must be on board and available for inspection by an enforcement officer whenever the vessel if operated.
Vessels must be registered and numbered within 30 days of purchase.
Registration numbers must be displayed on the forward half of the vessel on both sides above the waterline.
The numbers must be bold block letters at least 3" high in a color contrasting to the hull.
The vessel registration decal must be renewed annually and is to be displayed within 6 inches of, either before or after, the registration numbers on the port (left) side.
Documented vessels without a state registration in full force and effect must also obtain a Florida registration and display the validation decal on the port side of the vessel when using Florida waters.
Also see: www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/faqboat.html
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Might keep in mind also that the Folks from Georgia have a different set of rules than Florida. They have to have a state decal on both side of the boat. Georgia's registration is good for three years. (At in most cases, half the cost of Florida's one year registration.) Might want to check Georgia's boat laws also. Lots of folks on this site live in Georgia.

salute2
Semper Fi
RED ZONE 48

Post by RED ZONE 48 »

Take the Fl. BOATER SAFETY COURSE. you will learn a lot. and it's FREE.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

They are just about as bad as road police but with fewer restrictions.
If he's in a decent mood and you're not being a prick, chances are you might squeek by. But if he ain't or you are, life is going to get pretty dang interesting and expensive in a dang hurry.

It's a thankless job and I'm glad they are there but like most goverment employees, some of them have no business interacting with the public.
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Sir reel wrote:the seperation space depends...

Vessel Registration
All vessels, with the exception of non-motor-powered vessels less than 16 feet in length, non-motor-powered canoes, kayaks, racing shells, or rowing sculls, regardless of length, must be registered through your local Tax Collector's Office.
Letters must be separated from the numbers by a hyphen or space equal to letter width.
The Certificate of Registration must be on board and available for inspection by an enforcement officer whenever the vessel if operated.
Vessels must be registered and numbered within 30 days of purchase.
Registration numbers must be displayed on the forward half of the vessel on both sides above the waterline.
The numbers must be bold block letters at least 3" high in a color contrasting to the hull.
The vessel registration decal must be renewed annually and is to be displayed within 6 inches of, either before or after, the registration numbers on the port (left) side.
Documented vessels without a state registration in full force and effect must also obtain a Florida registration and display the validation decal on the port side of the vessel when using Florida waters.
Also see: www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/faqboat.html

I could read this two ways:
A hyphen, OR a space equal to one letter width.
or,
A hyphen or space the width of one letter

Wonder if the man will let me skate with a teenie hyphen crammed in there?

NOT!

JB
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
pontoon_dude

Post by pontoon_dude »

Reel Cowboy wrote: I've got both a horn and a whistle just to get out of being talked "at".
Same here, But, the dude I bought my boat from said a FWC Officer wrote him a ticket for not having a whistle even though the horn on the craft functions. I think it's like the highway cops, if you dont know the laws/your rights they will rail road you. They know people are scared of them and less likely to stand up for themselves.