Dry storage at a marina?????

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bman

Dry storage at a marina?????

Post by bman »

Thinking about keeping the boat at the coast to make trips easier.
Ive been working so much time hooking up the trailer and the time running down feels like wasted time I could be fishing.
Skiff is only a 16' so its not a big boat.
Ive never kept a boat at a marina so I don't even know what to look for!

Any suggestions on what to ask for or about?

How much should it run? Hidden fees?

I'd pick Panacea first but would be open to anywhere between St.Marks and Alligator Point.
Recommendations?
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
roadtrip
Site Sponsor

Re: Dry storage at a marina?????

Post by roadtrip »

I keep mine in Panacea. The folks are very nice and willing to help when you need it. Macon will even offer current fishing reports. I think I pay $7/8 per foot. (not sure) It makes getting in and out of town a lot easier when you dont have to drag the boat. :thumbup:
ReelFun

Post by ReelFun »

I've kept mine at Shields @ St Marks for about 8 yrs. On the trailer, in the long barn type building at the wash rack. $50 or 55 a month(can't remember which). About 100 yrds to the ramp. No hidden fees, 24 hr access, completely inclosed. Your boat would fit for sure. Good luck......... :thumbup:
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

ReelFun wrote:I've kept mine at Shields @ St Marks for about 8 yrs. On the trailer, in the long barn type building at the wash rack. $50 or 55 a month(can't remember which). About 100 yrds to the ramp. No hidden fees, 24 hr access, completely inclosed. Your boat would fit for sure. Good luck......... :thumbup:
ReelFun,
Will they launch for you?
"Plan for the worst."
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Barry,
I used to keep mine at Panacea. I didn't like it. The folks at Panacea were great and if your dead set on doing it, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. They always helped out, including driving to Spring Creek to help me out with a dead battery one time (no charge). Problem is your limited to that area to fish. If you want to go somewhere else, you have to make arrangements to go get your boat. I had mine down there during that riproaring hurricane season, so I had to make multiple trips to go get it even when bad weather might be coming. The worst part, your at the mercy of their hours. If you want to go at 0 dark thirty they may not be there, that kind of thing. The stalls at Shields look interesting. Fixes the hours thing; but, you're looking at a lot of crowds and a 8 mile run to the flats in your 16 foot boat. One other problem. I had a 24 volt trolling motor and no where to plug in, so I had to carry two batteries back and forth. Just my experience.
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
bman

Post by bman »

Really- no where to plug a trickle charger in?

TEAM "Duck Season!"
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Not when I was there. I was on top, three boats high.
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
ReelFun

Post by ReelFun »

RW...... I've never ask them to launch my boat. But I'm pretty sure they would, if, for some reason my truck was down. I wouldn't ask them to launch me on a regular basis.
pontoon_dude

Post by pontoon_dude »

I think Shields Marina will launch you if you call them ahead of time...Like your planning on fishing Saturday, call them Friday and tell them what time, and they will have you in the water. Thats what Brett Shields told me last time I was there about 2 weeks ago.
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Thanks RF, PD. :thumbup:
"Plan for the worst."
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Shields' dry storage does include unlimited launches with advance notice. They'll also gas your boat up and ice it down if you want. They'd probably even add beer to the cooler if you ask them.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

IT'S NOT LOCATION,LOCATION,LOCATION ANYMORE IT'S SERVICE, SERVICE,SERVICE AND ONE MORE TIME FOR GOOD MEASURE *SERVICE* JUST TO MAKE A LIVING
generalee
Site Sponsor

Post by generalee »

I have kept a boat in dry storage at Alligator Point Marina ever since Bayside Marina decided it was going to demo the "barn" to make way for condos that have yet to show up. The team at Alligator Point Marina have been very helpful and really seem to try and take care of your equipment. May be worth a call and/or a drive to talk over your needs and their pricing with Ted the Harbormaster. Depending on your preferred fishing grounds, they may be closer. They can be reached at 850-349-2511. Funny, I can't remember my home phone number but I can remember the marina number !
bman

Post by bman »

Talked to the folks at Panacea today-
They have plugs for a trickle charger- or will charge up the battery for you if you call ahead.
Gas, Ice etc are available.

And the storage fee in the secure boat barn was very reasonable!
Unlimited launches.

TEAM "Duck Season!"
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

You may want to look at the Boat House in Carrabelle. You keep your boat in your own enclosed bay and you keep the key. Just down the road from 2 ramps. open 24/7