Catfish avoidance

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

sailcat king

Catfish avoidance

Post by sailcat king »

Guys,

I vacationed and fished SGI for the first time last June. We had a great time, so we're headed back. I fished the Sound/Bay a good bit and mastered the mighty sailcat, but didn't light up the trout or redfish. We fished the early morning bite until about lunch each day. We used live shrimp under popping cork and gulp shrimp under popping corks. We probably caught north of 50 cats all week, but less than 10 sport fish. Any advice?

Sailcat King
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Catfish avoidance

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Stick with what you do best.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

The only way to avoid the "hardheads" is to fish with something non-smelly. My advice would be to stick with Gulps plastics or other artificial lures. You can also do pretty good on small mud minnows and small pinfish. The Cats don't bother them quite as bad.

salute2
Semper Fi
KYFRED

Post by KYFRED »

Fish shallower (is that a word), Keep bait more active, Use gulp or other. I've found the cats to be a little deeper than the trout and reds.
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

They're bad over there in the warmer months. I've caught a bunch no matter what bait I used in 4+ feet of water. I agree with KYFRED.
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Save the shrimp for the grill, leave the gulp at the store and buy yourself some topwater and suspending plugs. More trout and reds, Bigger trout and reds, very seldom will you see cat hit a plug. They will but seldom. :thumbup:
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

BAD BEHAVIOR wrote:Save the shrimp for the grill, leave the gulp at the store and buy yourself some topwater and suspending plugs. More trout and reds, Bigger trout and reds, very seldom will you see cat hit a plug. They will but seldom. :thumbup:

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
This from a man who sponsored the biggest SAILCAT prize in the Gulf.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Jumptrout51 wrote:
BAD BEHAVIOR wrote:Save the shrimp for the grill, leave the gulp at the store and buy yourself some topwater and suspending plugs. More trout and reds, Bigger trout and reds, very seldom will you see cat hit a plug. They will but seldom. :thumbup:

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
This from a man who sponsored the biggest SAILCAT prize in the Gulf.
Sponsored not selected :-D
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

Sailcats never hit topwater plugs :roll:
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

I have caught a few sailcats on topwater. Caught one out of oyster bay last year on one.
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

spoon might slow them down or throw a net for finger mullet.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Use a top water plug :thumbup: if you do use a popping cork, let it set for only a few seconds at a time, you will still catch cats, but not near as many and the Trout and Reds don't mind it being active :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
antoni

Post by antoni »

hey man sails are gamefish and don't you forget it! that's no typical catfish. at night on the indian river they like to hit plugs at times. a couple weeks ago in sgi i got one on a g spoon. it seems to me they like the edge or a flat around a boat channel. go0 shallow it's summer 8)

if you are on sgi and have access to the plantation either by staying there or getting there by boat you will get reds. the shore flats of the plantation leading up to bob sikes cut is :smt007 you will see reds! wade along the shore line in between the docks. you can wade out about a 1/4 mile in most of it and reds are there but beware of gators. last month i got a 6lb trout on a g spoon and misses several nice fish but mostly got redfish. you can see some tails at sunrise but by late morning it's blind casting. by mid day i would fish the docks shadows.

Do you want big fish? when coming up to the bob sikes cut in a boat the last few docks at the mouth of the cut there is a rock wall and it's about 5ft right at the wall. when the tide is really moving this area is a blast. lots of reds, trout and flounder but also tarpon, cobia and jacks cruise the point right off the wall.
sanblaslayer

Post by sanblaslayer »

hardheads love the pause technique while using topwater. Reds also like it. Just be careful.
Get your mind right
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

ALSO :-D them sail cats are some mighty fine eatin :thumbup: :thumbup: they just slime up whatever ya put em in :thumbdown: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”