New to the Area

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

wareagle1973

New to the Area

Post by wareagle1973 »

I am in the process of moving to Wakulla county and am curious to where are some go places and bait recommendations to fish for catfish and crappie in the Wakulla area. Thank you for all your help.

Go WAREAGLES!!
wevans
Site Sponsor

Re: New to the Area

Post by wevans »

Welcome aboard wareagle "mascot of the Wakulla High School also" :smt006 don't know much about Crappie fishin "though fishin has been crappy of late" :-D the Ochlokonnee river and the Sopchoppy river hold a lot of cats, though I aint been fishin for em in a long time "Tommy at Lou's bait & Tackle said a fella caught 68 of em yesterday in the "O" :thumbup: maybe some of the others can give a little more info. I do know that folks catch a lot of Crappie in the lakes around Tallahassee, so there should be some in Wakulls also :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
wareagle1973

Post by wareagle1973 »

Where are public access points to the Sopchoppy and Ochlokonnee to fish? What is the catfish bait of choice around there? Thank you so much for your help!!
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

For the Sopchoppy, the Myron B. Hodge City park in Sopchoppy is the only public ramp. The "O" has a multitude of ramps starting at the lower end is the Ochlokonnee State Park, Cow creek landing, Macintire landing, Wood Lake landing, Silver lake landing, Mack Lake landing and Red lake landing for starters :-D The "O" state park and Mack Lake has camping and restrooms "last time I was out at Mack anyhow" :thumbup: Baits are the old standbys, earth worms, chicken gizards, mullet or just plain ol stink bait :smt004 If ya stop by Lou's Bait & Tackle in Sopchoppy, Tommy can give ya a LOT more info on what's bitting where and on what :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Ty one on

Post by Ty one on »

Due to all of the other species of fish in Wakulla it will not take very long to forget what a Crappie and a Catfish are.

You are about to have the time of your life if you love fishing. :thumbup:
If we were all crazy, Wouldn't that make us all normal.
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Aint that the truth! You are in prime time fishing country! :thumbup:
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

What area of Wakulla are ya movin to wareagle?
wareagle1973

Post by wareagle1973 »

I am still looking for a place. I know the fishing there is great just not sure what to fish for and where to go. I am a rookie you could say. Dont have a boat so just experience fishing from shore. Have done some surf fishing at Alligator point with little success. Like I said a rookie so any advise would be welcome!!
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

You lookin ta buy or rent? There's a place right down from mine that's only $1,200,000.00 :-D but lots of others that are a bit less than that :thumbup: :beer:
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

If you want to get started cheap, pick yourself up a used kayak. There is a lot of great fishing around here that can be reached, both in fresh and saltwater.

- Steve Stinson
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

wevans wrote:There's a place right down from mine that's only $1,200,000.00 :-D
Wevans, are you selling your mother-in-law suite? :lol:
What was I supposed to do today?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Nope, it's FURTHER on down the road :smt004 :lol: :beer:
wareagle1973

Post by wareagle1973 »

How do I go about fishing using a kayak?? Don't poke too much fun at me. I am a rookie to fishing the Wakulla area.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Put Kayak in water, get in kayak, get out of water, pull upsidedown kayak out of water and contiue this untill you either give up or get past the third step :o :lol: I gave up :oops: :smt005 :beer:
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Welcome to the fray Wareagle73. Don't let these reprobait's mess with your crappie and catfish'n back ground. I've been transplanted in Florida from the Midwest since 1966 and I still remember and like to fish for and eat freshwater spec's (crappie) and catfish. You'll really like the taste of sea trout. The nastiest stuff these fellows get into is some glup juice once in a while. They don't know what it's like to eat a sandwich with "polecracker" smeared all over their hands or to take the lid off a jar of home marinaded rooster livers in the middle of a rockn' boat with a lap full of trot line at dark thirty... Good luck with the Kayak and learn'n the area.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".