Spanish!!!!

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Today was one of those days where you can do no wrong. From the time we cut the motor at 7:00 am to the time we left the water we caught spanish. Some of the biggest I've ever caught. We threw everything but the cast net and they would hit it. Gonna take the bream buster tomorrow. :grin: If you got a hit fought him and lost him just keep reeling because their will be another one. And if the bait was sticking out others would fight him for it. I think all these spanish are here but they have nothing much to eat because we saw no bait. They are so thick that the water is actually oily. Just fish around the oil slicks and catch them.

There are more spanish on the east flats than I have seen in the 10 years I have been fishing them. Here are just a few of the ones we didn't throw back or that just flat out muscled us. We ended up with 23 in the box after I had to beg Steve and Sonny not to keep any more. The last one of the day turned out to be the biggest at 5 pounds 10 ounces. We caught well over 200 fish today and I think that's a conservative estimate.

Tom Keels
Site Founder

FlatsPirate

Post by FlatsPirate »

I told you they were back at the NFGFC last night :grin: I'm glad you had a good day! Hope you have a better day tomorrow :lol: Save some more for me.
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

Picked up where you left off at 3 or so.

I saw you guys at Jerry's, you should have told me the chum wasn't necessary for Friday :smile:

We slammed spanish from about 3:30 till we quit at 6pm. Biggest was 6 1/2 lbs. What a day!
Leerr

Post by Leerr »

AWESOME! can't wait till they come over this way! It will be soon....You gotta pick of the 5lber??
Tight Lines and Screamin Drags...
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

That last one is the near 6 pounder.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Jere Firth

Post by Jere Firth »

Tom...nice catch thanks for the great pictures....I sure hope to get out real soo and try my luck........thanks again

Jere
Kai Lover

Post by Kai Lover »

Seriously nice Spanish Tom!!! Bet it was fun. We ended up with 9 keeper Grouper and a nice Red Sat. Posted a report in the appropriate spot.

Kevin.
Leerr

Post by Leerr »

Ok... I wasen't sure. That is a Huge Spanish! :eek:
Tight Lines and Screamin Drags...
RunningBare
Site Sponsor

Post by RunningBare »

The Spanish are thicker than I've ever seen. Saturday the wife and I fished the flats for an hour, no bites, nothing, not even pins. Moved to 12' SE of the birdrack trolling Clark spoons. Located a bait school and it was hang on! The fog moved in and the bite kept up. We quit trolling, just motored up to bait pod and cast anything. It was crazy for 3 hours. We kept 8 big Spanish and released somewhere around 40. These fish on light tackle are a blast. Got to go to Wally World to replenish Clark spoons and steel leaders.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

We found that bait on Saturday too Jim but didn't get anything to hit. What time were you out there? Heard someone calling you but no response.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

RunningBare
Site Sponsor

Post by RunningBare »

Tom,

We moved out to 12' at 11:00 AM. We were heading towards St Marks reef and 1.5 miles North of the reef we saw the bait fish. Never made it to the reef. We (and several very agressive dolphin) worked that bait pod for the next 2 hours. Got out fill and headed in. I did not have the radio on as BJ had the FM cranked up. It was one of those days....sea fog, Rolling Stones, and Spanish on light tackle. Had a blast!