Mashes Sands 5-29 & 31

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

konrad

Mashes Sands 5-29 & 31

Post by konrad »

Saturday:

My dad called me up last Thursday to inform me that I was going to take him fishing. He said it’s been almost three weeks and he really needed to get out of the house. I thought about screwing with him but realized I was in the same position so it wasn’t a real arm twister to convince me to go. Friday evening rolled around and they were still calling for 1-2 foot sea's but the rain chance was up to 60%. You never know unless you give it a try so we planned on meeting at my house Sat at 5:30am. We got down to Mashes Sands at 6:30. First stop was to catch bait. The water was clean and didn’t have any problem catching 30 big pins. Stopped by buoy 26 too to pick up some King bait but there was none to be had. We went out to some natural bottom in 50 feet. As I drove over the spot my fish finder lit up like a Christmas tree. On the first drop I got taken to the rocks in about 2 seconds. I guess I wasn’t awake yet but after that I was and ready for redemption. Well the redemption didn’t happen. Both my dad and I drop a dozen more pin fish to the bottom and couldn’t stop a single one from getting us in the rocks. We then decided to keep the bait a little higher in the water column to give us a better chance. That’s when the AJ’s decided it was their turn. After wasting a few bait on the AJ’s we decided to switch tactic and break out the jigging rods with 3oz buck tail jigs. We proceed to catch about 20 small AJ’s in the 8 to 10lb range. They were so thick I started to use top water. I would real as fast as possible and have 15 or so fish competing to crush the chugger. I was amazing. Finally I just couldn’t take any more so I dropped back down in hopes for some grouper. During this time my dad was free lining a dead Spanish sardine out the back. He hooked up at the same time I did. I final got up a 32inch grouper and he brought in a 35lb king. By this time I had only two more pins left in the live well. Dropped one down and instantly hooked up with a quality fish that I managed to keep off the bottom. Get it to the surface and it was a nice 27 inch red snapper. If only it was the 1st of June. My dad dropped the last pin down only to get taken to the rocks. It’s almost a good thing we ran out of bait because I ran out of circle hooks too. It was a great time but we left the spot knowing we got taken to school by the grouper. On the way in we let out a couple pugs to troll over some coral in 35 to 40 feet of water. Pick up 4 grouper but all were too short. During this time we were watching some nasty storms and a water spout just east of the landing. Since going thru that wasn’t an option we decided to waist some time on the shoal near buoy 26. Picked up a few Spanish and then called it a day. The fish box consisted of one nice grouper and king along with a couple Spanish.

On Monday I decided to give it another try. Couldn’t find anyone that didn’t already have plans so I went out alone. This time I brought along my Jew fish tackle. 80lb class. Picked up bait in the same spot and anchored on the same structure in 50 feet as I did on Saturday except I was prepared. First drop pulled up a 28 inch gag. Second drop got broken off. Third drop pulled up another 30 inch gag. Got my 2 fish limit in about 20 min. then decided to free line out a blue runner and play with the AJ’s again on my jigging rod. Pick up a couple small AJ’s in no time. Decided to take a little break when I see this huge explosion behind the boat. Then the rod I was free lining went off. The reel was screaming when I noticed the line go under my buoy that was marking the structure. The braid I my reel cut through the buoy cord in seconds and set it a drift. After several long runs I final bring a 40lb class king up to the boat. Too big to keep so let it go. By this time it is only 9:30. I have caught a limit of gags, 5 or 6 AJ’s and a big king. I decided to see if there were any red grouper down on the bottom. Picked up another 5 gags in the high 20 to low 30 inch range and let them all go. Now it is around 10:30 and what to do. I figure this was a good as time as any to start looking for new areas to fish. Tied on a few plugs and went trolling. Picked up a small king around 12 lbs perfect eating size so I kept him. Also got a few more grouper but never noticed any structure. Final found some great looking bottom in 35 feet. Drifted over it 3 times with live bait and nothing. Oh well, it’s been a great day and I am sure I will try that spot again. Back at the landing by 2pm. There was one thing I noticed both days. I didn’t see one pods of bait fish. Not even around the buoy. Just thought it was odd.
big bend gyrene

Re: Mashes Sands 5-29 & 31

Post by big bend gyrene »

konrad wrote:Couldn’t find anyone that didn’t already have plans so I went out alone.
You ever have that problem again, please, PLEASE PM me! :D
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Nice story.
We went out from Keaton Saturday and Monday. Saturday we saw a good bit of bait, and lots of bonito in 25-30 feet, but no keeper grouper. Yesterday we were in 40-50 feet and saw lots of flying fish, bonito and various other pods of baitfish, and came home with one grouper. (Although we did catch a nice red snapper, too bad it wasn't one day later. What are they doing in 45 feet of water if they are so "endangered"?) :roll:
I had the same trouble you talked about this weekend. Everytime I get a good hit, I get cut off immediately. Guess I'm gonna have to lengthen my leaders.
Thanks for the report. :thumbup:
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Rulemaker

Post by Rulemaker »

no way...don't believe you...nice story!!! i agree with BBG! I've heard how you fish from that guy Woodham!!!!!!