Single fishing from a double? Doable?

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Single fishing from a double? Doable?

Post by WolfeMan »

I am just getting into Kayak fishing and have had access to a loaner for a few months. I am realizing that I want to replace the loaner with a rig of my own and had a couple questions.

I would like to include my wife/kids in the adventures (1 at a time) and would consider a tandem kayak as a result. Anybody here ever regularly use a tandem kayak as a solo fisherman on a regular basis? Is it manageable? I grew up fresh water fishing in a 16 foot canoe solo, so I picture that a kayak would be similar. I'd like to be able to take my little daughter out with room to spare and some quality time with the wife might be nice too. The wife can contribute to the paddling, the 5 year old, not so much.

Any thoughts or advice?
Site Sponsor

Re: Single fishing from a double? Doable?

Post by Flint River Pirate »

That's a lot of sharp hooks whizzing by each other's heads VERY close! I am not sure how much fun that would be. Although I have never tried it before, we tried that a few times in a canoe on the river and it was very tough.But folks fish 2 out of small on boats everyday.
Team Jolly Mon
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

I most certainly recommend talking to the fine people over at http://www.fcka.net/, though there will be plenty of knowledgeable people here as well; they may have a bit more info and insight into it
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
konrad

Post by konrad »

I have had a 2 man Poke Boat since I was 13 years old. 36 now. It is a sit inside kayak. My dad use to paddle me around jump shooting ducks and fishing for bass out of it. I still have the same boat today and use it at least once a month if not more. Very stable but only one person can either shoot or fish out of it at the same time. After the days of dad paddling me around passed I took out the from seat and use it as a large one man. It is much fast than a one man just due to the length. I also have a lot of extra space to hold all my fishing gear or a couple dozen duck decoys. One of the issues I see with most kayaks today is the weight. a 2 man sit on top can be 70 plus lbs and if you have to strap it to the top of a SUV it can be a somewhat difficult. My two man only weights 30lbs but doesn't have all the compartments these new boats have. Don't know if I help but just thought I would put in my two cents.
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

People ask me quite frequently if they should buy a tandem kayak and or two separate singles. Two people in a fishing from a kayak is doable but tough. I would recommend a 17 foot canoe or ghenoe if you plan to always fish out of one with another person. I feel that fishing kayaks and what they are made to do are designed for a single person. I also know of a few guys who bought tandem kayaks with the same ideas you are having and as the ensuing reality of paddling it and fishing from it by themselves set in, they quickly found themseves wishing they had bought singles.
Jason
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

You could rent one for a day at some of the places on the coast and see if you like paddling a two seater and what the fishing would be like if you were fishing.
I for one would do two kayaks if my wife wanted to do it. If you want to take the children on an occasional trip it can be done in some of the larger single models.
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

I got hooked in the ear fishing from a two man bass hunter
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

Well I rescued a bass fisherman from a hooked ear/neck and he was alone in a 20 foot Nitro bass boat.

Not to mention the time I hooked myself in the back alone on a dock.

Accidents happen! LOL