Offshore Keaton 29 & 30 Mar

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Kai Lover

Post by Kai Lover »

Slow day Friday. Fished with Don and his Son Ben (aka Don's Boats). Only managed 5 keepers. Probably had 10 throwbacks. Most caught on Stretch 30s. We lost three stretch 30s w/100 lb leader to some big bubbas that went down on us and we couldn't get them up. Lost one to a split ring that came a part took hook and all. Yes we set drag correctly. Smaller fish in 40' of water w/ the algae bloom that some have discussed. Slick calm conditions. Logged 101 miles on GPS. Burned 34 gallons w/4 Stroke. Most running was at 5500-6000 RPMs. Dream Engine.

Sat fished with my neigbor Part Sullivan. He's a native Perry boy. Foggy as all get out all day. Slick calm conditions. We went to a spot 33 miles out and worked from 55' to 63' of water (36.6 miles). First fish in the boat before I could get second stretch out. Again, I lost 2-3 huge fish. One I think was an AJ (not sure), since we turned the boat to chase him down only for the "circle of death" and and a straightened hook. We picked up 4 in short order then bite slowed with tide. Bottomed fished from noon til 1400. Caught 2 nice keepers on LYs in 60' one 28" and other 30". Started to work in at 1400 and managed our last keeper trolling in with a 28" Red. Released 8-10 under sized fish.

Hot lure was brown back stretch 30, silver and chartreuse, then "pinky tuska dero" in the prop wash running short (Pink Stretch 30). Big Red hit the pink and had severla short strikes. 90 miles on GPS and I haven't filled up yet, but will guess 30 gallons burned.

Definitely felt handicapped using my old Garmin GPS II. Hopefully, my mapping unit will be fixed for next trip. Two slick azz days on water! Good to talk to Surface Interval Sat. Guess most of your crew was in the water when I called.
phish-n-fool

Post by phish-n-fool »

Nice Report-

Enjoyed the pics,,man that is a big ole gut in the first picture, on the red, that is :grin:
Jere Firth

Post by Jere Firth »

Kai...looks like a good weekend out of keaton again....sounds like you guys had a good weekend infact...... were their most of the day Fiday.......we looked a a place for a weekend retreat but i think we are going to pass on it this time....we are looking at motor homes thinking we will get more out of it.....

Jere
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Jere, motorhomes make moving very easy.

We met a couple in the Georgia Mountains
last Spring who had retired, sold there house, bought
an apartment and a motorhome.

They spent most of the year touring around the States and they had been everywhere.

Makes life very flexible. :smile:
Jere Firth

Post by Jere Firth »

Cranfield...thats what Cindy and I were debaiting we really don't wnat to be tied down to one palce again...Motor Home is a better way to go.......thanks for your advice

Jere