"Be The Fish"

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

geezer

"Be The Fish"

Post by geezer »

uh huh. Well...maybe I can be a bluefish, and pretend that Im a striper, am somehat of a cod, and can bellyflop like a flounder.

Reading about redfish and trout they sound very much like bluefish. Snook sound a little like stripers, flounder is flounder, and grouper sound like cod (although I assume they are deep water and we aint goin there?).

What seems way different here is the environment.

I have known a few guys who always catch their limits just by wishing it so. Tell them a little about their quarry, turn em loose on some strange water, and boom...the tank is full of brutes. Im not one of those guys...I need 'rules' to follow (and maybe flocks of birds and party boats to follow). I learned to seek out 'structure' and just mark them on the charts.

When I was growing up we went on annual fishing trips to Canada ...where the guides there taught my dad (who taught me) that you only need 3 types of lures to catch any kind of fish in any body of water in the world...spoons, topwaters, and something like worms. When I first got my boat I chased every new lure craze to the poorhouse, and finally ended up back at the basic 3 and was just as successful as ever. This coupled with: 'no trebbles, no barbs, everything weedless, no guppy baits' (beeeg lures catch beeeeg fish)

More than half the time I would catch as many junk fish as anything ...sharks, rays, you name it...and also ended up rigged 'heavy' out of frustration from losing so much gear.

SEW...being the dumbyankee that I am...we have set ourselves up so far with: 8' medium-heavy fast tip spinning outfits with the smallest of the Shimano Baitrunner reels...half loaded with 30# PowerPro (this is new to me) backed with 50# mono. Im making up leaders from 50# flouro (new to me)...and using 100# terminal tackle.

I have received my 2 sizes of spoons from: http://www.upnorthoutdoors.com/stamina/ ... scale.html

and have ordered 2 sizes of the traditional poppers from Cabelos:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... id=0030807

I used to make my own weedless surgical tubes and am planning on doing that again.

Whew!

LOL...Ok folks...I can take it...do I have a clue?

Bob
BlueDrifter

just a tad hefty

Post by BlueDrifter »

30 lb and 50 lb leaders.

Well keep it for this year I use 8 lb on one rod and 15 on the live bait rod. I only use leaders for live bait unless I find some sharped tooth guys.
Unless you are going after Bull reds (which I wouldnt want to do while in the kayak) your average keeper trout will be less than 5 lbs and average keeper reds around the same. We dont have huge flounder. Snook dont come this far north :smt013 and Cobia do get quite large but not many are caught within Kayak distance of shore. They say Gruoper can be caught in St. Andrews bay but given their habit of heading into the rocks and locking themselves in I dont know if I could boat one in a kayak.
geezer

BlueDrifter

Post by geezer »

Thanks. We went shopping this morning :) Found a bait and tackle store that talked the way you guys talked yest. We have good starter stuff now. Will save our big guns for something else. You guys are so patient with us ferners. See you soon. Bob
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Geezer, Here is a thread right up your alley. Read it all & then read it again. I have a hard copy of it and I learn a lot more every time I read it.
:thumbup:
http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpbb/vie ... c&&start=0
geezer

This is great!

Post by geezer »

Thank you Littoral..it is exactly the kind of stuff I need/want to bury myself in. BlueDrifter is also steering me to some education. I really appreciate it. We'll get wet a few times and do some serious homework before we join up with you guys.
Littoral

Re: This is great!

Post by Littoral »

geezer wrote:Thank you Littoral..it is exactly the kind of stuff I need/want to bury myself in. BlueDrifter is also steering me to some education. I really appreciate it. We'll get wet a few times and do some serious homework before we join up with you guys.

More than welcome, please don't worry about homework before you get with any of us. Just go.
Also, those articles really are best I've ever seen.
geezer

Thanks Littoral

Post by geezer »

You are gracious...but with two of us yakking, splashing, banging, laughing,
and probably blowing bubbles... I fear there wont be a fish within 10 miles of
our first couple times out. We will find our 'centers' and our 'silence' and then
we'll find you guys. Ive already been noisy enough here. We'll be at
HagensCove this Sunday at high tide if anyone wants a good chuckle.

:o
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

There are about 200 pages of top notch trout fishing education at this link.
Wow--good stuff! Thanks, Litt.
geezer

First Trip

Post by geezer »

My worries were completely unfounded. Boats very stable and dry.
Geezerette just got in and took off. Saw lots of marine life in the crystal clear
shallows and many of what I assumed to be mullet jumping for joy all over the place. Rigging for fishing for Sunday and reading the great info from Littoral for the 3rd time.
ceej

Re:

Post by ceej »

Littoral wrote:Geezer, Here is a thread right up your alley. Read it all & then read it again. I have a hard copy of it and I learn a lot more every time I read it.
:thumbup:
http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpbb/vie ... c&&start=0
can anyone please update this link? it is telling me that the site has moved...
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Re: "Be The Fish"

Post by RHTFISH »

Due to the overwhelming conservative nature of this forum we've been forced underground! :smt005
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.