turf wars

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CrispyFishin

turf wars

Post by CrispyFishin »

So, I live in residential Tallahassee. Just so happens, I have grown the most lush lawn that I have ever grown. I am all of 32 years old.

My neighbor has been a widow for roughly 8 months. Her son-in-law was over for the weekend and decided to do her a favor by mowing her lawn. I have thick St. Augustine grass that I cut with a blade raised to roughly 2 1/2" to 3". The son-in-law crosses the property line by roughly 8 feet and scalps my lawn down to near dirt in a perfect line leading out to the street.

I really don't want to make an issue of this because I want my neighbor to feel comfortable in reaching out to us in the event that she needs assistance, as she had in the past.

Should I let this one fly or should I try and generate some tactful way of reestablishing where my property ends, and where her's begins?
Work 'em silly Gators!!
hmaadd29

Re: turf wars

Post by hmaadd29 »

I'm not confrontational, but I'd have to go discuss. That stuff is hard to maintain. Watch out for the bugs
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

You should inform the SIL of the property boundaries.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

If you want to not be confrontational. just go and stake the property line and tie a red line between the stakes. After a couple of mowings, the line will be established, and the SIL will know where to stop.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

As a neighborly gesture to the grieving widow offer to mow her lawn.

1. No confrontation
2. karma points for being a good neighbor
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Allnighter

Post by Allnighter »

What barhopr said that is really the best around way to go.
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Did he run over the OBAMA sign in your yard?
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

DON'T DO IT!!!! I tried to be a good neighbor to the recent widow lady next door 19 years ago. I'm still cutting her grass, trimming her hedges, working on her car, hauling her trash to the street, watering her plants, cleaning her fence line, burning her pinecombs, working on stopped up drains, pressure washing her house, taking her to the doctor, picking up her medicine, cleaning the straw off her roof, weeding her flower beds, and my wife brings her to the hair dresser every Thursday morning, and makes her supper three or four nights a week. Don't ever remember her saying thank you one time. So, DON'T DO IT!!!! :smt009

salute2
Semper Fi
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

RHTFISH wrote:Did he run over the OBAMA sign in your yard?
:smt005
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

CSMarine wrote:DON'T DO IT!!!! I tried to be a good neighbor to the recent widow lady next door 19 years ago. I'm still cutting her grass, trimming her hedges, working on her car, hauling her trash to the street, watering her plants, cleaning her fence line, burning her pinecombs, working on stopped up drains, pressure washing her house, taking her to the doctor, picking up her medicine, cleaning the straw off her roof, weeding her flower beds, and my wife brings her to the hair dresser every Thursday morning, and makes her supper three or four nights a week. Don't ever remember her saying thank you one time. So, DON'T DO IT!!!! :smt009

salute2
Yep, you'll burn in hell for doing for doing all of that for her. ;-) Really though...if you do good deeds to be thanked...don't do them.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

a) Put in a fence, or a flower bed, or a rock garden, or a border, or something that marks the boundary.

b) Work full-time doing golf course maintenance and you'll never again care what your lawn looks like as long as you don't have to mess with it. <You want me to mow what! ? :smt005 >

At least he mowed a straight line so if your old grass doesn't come back the sod will be easier. :-D

I agree with CSMarine; help her if you want, but be careful about leaving yourself open to being taken advantage of. There's no easy way out of that, and there is a difference.
CrispyFishin

Post by CrispyFishin »

RHTFISH: No, my Obama sign is stored now. I look at it from time to time as sort of a novelty. I often wonder if I'd vote the same way if I had it to do it again. :smt017

Now, he did come really close to my ACORN sign. Speaking of which, the local ACORN rep would like to make a presentation at the next NFGFC meeting, if that's cool. :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, one day I'm gonna move to where lawns don't matter much. Anyone know a quality realtor in South Ga. that could sell me the farm?

As always, thanks all for the wisdom. The common theme was "keep the peace", and I tend to agree.
Work 'em silly Gators!!
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

NOW CSM, YA KNOW THAT ALL GOOD JARHEADS DO THAT KIND OF THING. I TAKE ALL THE YOUNG LADIES, 65-80 , TO THE DOC. OFFICE AND ON THE WAY HOME TAKE THEM OUT FOR LUNCH, I DO NOT DO IT FOR PRAISE BUT BECAUSE I ENJOY HELPING PEOPLE.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

CrispyFishin wrote:Speaking of which, the local ACORN rep would like to make a presentation at the next NFGFC meeting, if that's cool. :lol: :lol:
Now that my friends, is what a stupid idea looks like.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Reel Cowboy wrote:
CrispyFishin wrote:Speaking of which, the local ACORN rep would like to make a presentation at the next NFGFC meeting, if that's cool. :lol: :lol:
Now that my friends, is what a stupid idea looks like.

Can you say pummeled senseless with Ugly Sticks 3X real fast? :D