July 13-Lighthouse

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

LucWilliams

July 13-Lighthouse

Post by LucWilliams »

Took two of my good friends fishing out of the Lighthouse today. Tyler Webb and John Reddick..Tyler is a relatively experienced fisherman that fishes with me often, he has his moments. John on the other hand is just one of those friends you bring along because when you fish almost every day, there is no other time to hangout with your non fishing friends. We loaded up at 5 30 and headed for the lighthouse. After launching the boat, we idled around in the canal for a bit and loaded up on finger mullet. This no live shrimp period of the year always puts a hurtin on the Williams Boys fishing, we do our best to adapt. With the livewell pumping, we headed for our first hole. After three weeks out of town, I was just hoping to relocate some fish. Sunday i fished a few of my holes and Monday i fished Lanark with nothing to really show for those two days. On our way to the first hole, there was a flat loaded up with bait. Nothing crashing the bait, but tons of bait. We slung our bombers and mirrodines around this flat for a while with nothing to show, not a good start. We continued on to our planned destination and anchored up. We were getting bites, but not what we wanted. I didn't exactly want to put my buddies on the catfish, ramora, and other trash fish that were inhaling our live finger mullet. No worries though, patience is key. Eventually John hooks up with something good, the fish is about to come up to the surface....and then it breaks off. I had seen this happen with many of my non fishing friends, seems to break their heart everytime. Bad start for John. I put a decent bluefish in the boat but let it go. We take a short venture and get some more finger mullet in the livewell. We anchor back up and start fishing again. I hook up with something but it isn't running like a red. Comes up to the surface and it is a red, only 19.5 inches though. Not sure if I want to keep it, definitely don't want to if it's our only keeper. I put it in the livewell. A few minutes later Tyler hooks up, good fish, we are all thinking red, but then it comes up shaking its head, good trout, it went 22 inches. I transfer my red onto ice and the trout joins him. A while later, Tyler hooks up again, good spanish mackeral. He goes into the cooler. The finger mullet are doing their job at this point and we are happy. After catching more finger mullet and mud minnows in the cast net we get back to fishing. I am next to hook up, land a trout that goes 19.5 inches. John is still struggling at this point, he says he wants to get rid of his mud minnow since all of the fish are coming on finger mullet. I tell him that he should keep the mud minnow on because we are low on bait. He sighs and casts his line back out. As I'm fooling around getting bait from the livewell, I hear Tyler say..John's got something. I turn around and John's rod is really bending. The look on his face is priceless, he doesn't know if he should be excited, scared, nervous...he just wants to land the fish! The hookset looked good from what I was told and the fish is really putting a hurting on John. It eventually surfaces and we all see that it is a big red. We are giving John advice and he is fighting the fish like he has done it every weekend of his life. He battles the fish for about 10 minutes and finally it is into the net, we can all tell that the fish is oversized. The fish measures 31 inches and we get a good release. John turns to me and says that he finally realizes how peopls can get hooked on fishing. We land a few more fish but nothing special. Good day on the water.

I will be gone for the next two weeks on a cruise with my college soccer team, yall go get em while I'm gone.

If anyone wants to see pictures, you will have to tell me how to post them, or just check them out on Otto's website.
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Re: July 13-Lighthouse

Post by tallykenj »

Great post. I wish I was with ya', especially to find your spots.
The Back Porch
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

:thumbup: Missed you guys at the tournament.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
LucWilliams

Post by LucWilliams »

Thanks JT, we would have loved to fish it but we were in Baltimore visiting family.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Great story Williams!

I thought all the trout had gone to Cuba!

Mud minnows and finger mullet must be the menu. Hum......thanks!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Great post Luc. Reading was just like being there (almost). Keep posting like this, you'll be guiding for real in no time. Told ya we should have gone there Sunday (just kidding).

Sure gonna miss you.

Proud Dad advertising for new (temporary) partner for the late Summer/Fall.
Good Times

Post by Good Times »

Great post. Thanks for sharing the trip.

Upload the pictures to photo bucket and then paste the IMG link from photo bucket into your post here on BBF.net. That's how I do it.
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Awesome post post Luc! :thumbup: The only thing better than catching the fish of the day is watching someone else less experienced do it. Unless you're in a tournament that is. :-D
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Well said Capt. Keyser. I'm that way too, at least until the boys passed me in the experience dept.

Jono (the family man) went with the 18.5 pontoon boat, which is in PSJ right now, but you'll see him locally at some point. Thanks for your help.

Temporary partner position still open, though quite a line is forming.
LucWilliams

Post by LucWilliams »

Here are the pictures to prove it....

Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Sweet!