August 5-Lighthouse

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

LucWilliams

August 5-Lighthouse

Post by LucWilliams »

Fished this morning with my brother Jono. Just the two of us, like the good old days when he was in high school and we were taking the boat by ourselves for the first time. We had the same routine as the last couple days. Met up at 5 30 and headed for the lighthouse. We caught bait in the canal, which i found out are menhaden. They have been really thick in the canal, easy to catch, and the fish seem to love them, even if they are dead. We ran for the spot and it started out slow. Jono got snagged up on his first three casts. After fighting off some ladyfish, toadfish, and other trash fish, we finally land a keeper mackeral. We let it go because I'm not all about the first fish in the box being a mackeral. Things were slower than the last couple days , but there were a few good hookups and eventually the fish broke off or pulled free. I eventually landed a red that was 20 inches. I released it since we had already released another keeper. After lots of moving around and catching some more live bait, we finally found some fish. Jono hooks up with a red on a bobber, and lands a 21 inch red. We go back and forth landing reds for a while and end up with 5 keepers total, ranging from 18 to 22 inches. Then the reds turned off and we caught a few more mackeral. Total tally for the day was 6 reds(5 keepers), and 3 keeper mackeral. We also caught lots of ladyfish, toadfish, catfish, stingrays, and other things you don't want to catch. Jono lost his Costas overboard so that was the biggest negative of the day. I also broke off one of the eyes on my rod while fighting a fish, hopefully that one eye missing won't affect too much. We will be prefishing for Saturday's tournament tomorrow. Tight lines!

tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Re: August 5-Lighthouse

Post by tallykenj »

I glad to hear about your success and I'm looking forward to fishing this weekend.
The Back Porch
Bullet

Post by Bullet »

Good job on the reds & thanks for the info about menhaden in the canal. We haven't been able to find many this year.
Tight lines

Bullet
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Wow....what a day!

Good to have a brother and one that loves to fish as well.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP