Loran (Tds) to GPS

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Jhults11

Loran (Tds) to GPS

Post by Jhults11 »

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of yall had a particular program that you have used before to convert tds to GPS that is actually accurate? I have tried this with a program about a year ago and it didnt work for crap. I went to about 12 of the 200 tds I have from a best friend who is a retired commercial fishermen that I know had awesome spots, and all the ones i went to didnt even show bottom...let alone fish. So i know the program i used was not that accurate. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time..........
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Re: Loran (Tds) to GPS

Post by Harmsway »

Jhults11 wrote: . . . a particular program that you have used before to convert tds to GPS that is actually accurate?
:smt042 :smt043 :smt044
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
groupertherapy
Site Sponsor

Post by groupertherapy »

Mine is fairly good, haven't been too far off in the past and I work cheap.
Sea-r-cy

Post by Sea-r-cy »

Post a list of all your td's, we'll pm you the lat/lon if we find them. :-D :thumbup:

Sea-r-cy
screaminseamen

Post by screaminseamen »

Yeah there is a good converter...its a furuno GP 37 DGPS system. it is the most exact that you can get i have been using it all year and its perfect you just have to correctly calibrate it
Flatout
Site Sponsor

Post by Flatout »

Here is a program that has worked for me for years from "DOS" and a 286 computer days to these monsters we have now that compute the data as soon as you hit the key. Look at the Andren web site ( http://www.andren.com ) and see what you think. The Andren Program does a nice job of conversion of loran TD's to GPS Lat/Long plus more than a Redneck like me could ever understand. Plus the Man, who wrote the program (Carl Andren) offers support for you himself.
I'm recommending it as a user myself.

Product Overview:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Andren LoranGPS program is a tool for fishermen and divers to manage collections of GPS (or Loran) waypoints (readings) and print an organized book of listings and maps. It is easy to use and will make your waypoints work better for you. Its features allow you to plan fishing/diving trips that save time and fuel and to analyze your waypoints for promising areas to explore.
To order via phone, call: 321-725-4115

To order via US mail send order and check to:
Andren Software Co.
906 S. Ramona Ave.
Indialantic, FL 32903-3435
Add 6% sales tax if you live in Florida.
Please include phone number and email address if you have them.
Be Good, and Take your Medicine!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Flatout,
It might help to know how much the program actually costs before placing an order. :)
groupertherapy
Site Sponsor

Post by groupertherapy »

DWilliams

Post by DWilliams »

I've used LoranGps and Offshore hunter. My vote goes to Andren. It will be ~200' to 0.1 mile off until you get some calib. points in. I've converted 8K numbers so far and have found quite a few. It is the panacea cavern numbers that are hard to find without putting an eye on it. Every loran and loran book is different. One book may be 200' on a 270 and another book will be 100' on a 30 from the converted number, but each book is consistent.

The easiest way to get the numbers in the gps is to export the dbf file from lorangps, put the td's in an excel file either by typing them in or scanning with an ocr and cleaning up the numbers and pasting into the dbf, convert and export the file to garmin, open mapsource and downlowd. In excel you can type two columns, one column of 14's and one column of 46's and just type in the last4 digits in another column and concat the two columns.

If you need help PM me or if you want them converted I'll trade loran #'s also.

The coast guard dos program is not accurate.