Anyone been to Econfina?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

kirt123

Anyone been to Econfina?

Post by kirt123 »

I am probably going to Econ or Steinahtchee tomorrow and its been about 2 months since going as I have been traveling a bit. Would rather put in around Econ but has anyone heard if they are biting? Possibly in deeper water southwest of rock island?
tabb

Re: Anyone been to Econfina?

Post by tabb »

Fished from 9 inches of water to 9 feet from just this side of rock island to some bars near Aucilla. Three keeper trout and a bunch of sharks and catfish. heard someone on the radio said they had 8 trout and were fishing in 13 feet of water. Don't know who is was or if they were telling the truth. Lot of floating grass made it tough to fish. Why fished top water, live bait and gulps. Caught our few trout in about 6 feet of water on gulps and 3 miles from mouth of Econfina towards rock island.
good luck and let us know what you do. I am ready to go back even though we did not have the best luck fishing.
kirt123

Post by kirt123 »

Well that disappoints. Still undecided though, hatch is a bit further from Quitman than Fenholloway or Econ. and usually a bit more boat ride if I fish pepperfish area. Last time I went to hatch I fished pepper but caught all my trout on the southwest side of the large sand bar area just right of the river mouth where it gets deeper. I may still try Fenholloway though and if the trout dont bite I may try the bars between rock island and land. They seem to produce reds when it is hotter weather. Anyone had any luck with the reds in the area?
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

The reds never really turn off. I haven't been hitting the trout much lately, but if I were going this weekend, I'd go deep on a moving tide.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
kirt123

Post by kirt123 »

I need to make sure I follow you out if I see ya. The summer is the time I have the most trouble catching them there. A 30 fish day is common in the winter but for me in the summer a 3 redfish day seems more like it. Where do you catch the most? in the creeks, creek mouths, or on the few outer bars?

Thanks