Back to the bay, 9/1

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Back to the bay, 9/1

Post by WolfeMan »

After our last trip resulted in 2 keepers, Mike & I were anxious to get back out - We arranged to ditch work early & got to the ramp around 4:30 or so. We putzed around one of the larger perimeter bays around Levy Bay & found some great looking oyster bars with good bait activity.

On or around my 10th cast of the day something went haywire on my leader-braid connection and my Poppa Dog went a sailing through the air in wifi mode, landing about 50 yards away in about 2 inches of water....I quickly looked over my shoulder to see if Mike had noticed - I was in the clear, so I tucked tail and paddled over to retrieve my temporarily lost plug.

After securely affixing a new leader and repositioning a little further down the shore, I had a couple short strikes on top water, nothing touched the jig or gold spoon so I went back to the Poppa Dog & ended up with one solid upper slot keeper, 24" this time around.

For my fishing dollar, nothing beats a topwater bite...so exciting. This one hit while the plug was dead still. That's my favorite. I imagine it helps hookups because the slack line gives the fish just a hair longer to get those hooks in it's mouth. In any event, I had a blast...Mike remains skunked on the redfish front. I almost wish he had caught the one I caught...I hate seeing a good fisherman frustrated. He was having all kinds of bad ju-ju with wind knots, snagging oysters, over-casting & getting tied up in the shore grass...felt bad for him. Then to add insult to injury he kindly took this picture after paddling 2 hundred yards in response to my "WA-HOO".

Dear sweet little 7 pound 6 ounce baby Jesus, please let Mike catch a Redfish next time we go out. Amen.

Re: Back to the bay, 9/1

Post by bman »

Love it...
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Things you really should know about wind knots.................

http://surfishmexico.pbworks.com/All-about-wind-knots
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

Wow, that's awesome info. I definitely have a shoulder gap at the bottom of the spool on one of my reels...the washer tip is awesome. I'll be looking into that!

Post by Good Times »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Things you really should know about wind knots.................

Good stuff and great report. Love the prayer.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Things you really should know about wind knots.................

Awesome. Now, what do I do to prevent the braid from wrapping around my rodtip while I'm working my lure? (only happens when it's windy, and mostly when I'm in my kayak) (maybe something to do with the angle I hold my rod at?).
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

You can also use a rod with smaller guides as they don't let braid have enough room to get all mangled up.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"