Sunglass Lens Color Question

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Sunglass Lens Color Question

Post by big bend gyrene »

Been mulling costas or habers for months now but before laying down big bucks I have a question for those of you swearing by high quality polarized lenses.

My understanding is the lens color helps filter out the same color in the water. Read a number of posts on this thread and others saying to get blue for deep offshore, green for inshore/offshore mix, and amber for lowlight or very shallow fishing.

Above said, seems I've seen a 50/50 mix for folks liking green vs. amber even when mostly fishing shallow.

So here's my question, do you folks swearing by green like the green because you're out of the PC area where water isn't as brown as the St. Marks/Econ area or do any folks in the St. Marks/Econ area find green to beat amber too?

Not ready to buy multiple sets of $$$ glasses and am fishing 95% of the time in the St. Marks/Econ area. Leaning towards green because it seems the 20 to 30 ft depths out of the Tally neck of the woods are pretty green anyway (since they're a mix of the brown inshore/blue offshore waters). Do hit redfish spots most of the time on my way back in, though, and wonder how much I'll be giving up for the shallow visibility by going with green.

Any/all input GREATLY appreciated! salute1
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Sunglass Lens Color Question

Post by silverking »

I use the Costa 580 amber with the green mirror finish. It should work well for the waters you normally fish. The gray lenses are for hard glare offshore in deep water. Since you're typically fishing in depths less than 30 feet and often shallower, I'd recommend the amber and if you like the green, add that.

The Costa site has some great info on lens tinting and applications.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

:stupid_1
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

silverking wrote:I use the Costa 580 amber with the green mirror finish. It should work well for the waters you normally fish. The gray lenses are for hard glare offshore in deep water. Since you're typically fishing in depths less than 30 feet and often shallower, I'd recommend the amber and if you like the green, add that.

The Costa site has some great info on lens tinting and applications.

For some reason, I think Capt. Dave might know a thing or three about the subject.
I wear green mirror on the water and Vermilion when driving.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I wear the Haber Nice "real glass, not plastic" with the Rose/Copper lense and love em. I wear them every day and every where "they are great for driving in the rain during the day" :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
http://www.habervision.com/product/Nice.aspx
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

I wear green mirror Costa glass lenses. They do great on lakes and rivers and in-shore - and TBH, I dont know enough about them to know if I am suffering when I get off-shore...but I dont get far out enough for it to matter.